Ampère force law, action, reaction

In summary, the Ampère law is only valid if ds_1 and ds_2 are integrated over closed circuits. This form is called the Neumann form and depends on the dot product of ds_1 and ds_2. This is shown in most EM textbooks. It's a fascinating fact that the electromagnetic field itself carries momentum in classical electrodynamics, and this causes Newton's third law to appear to fail. For this reason it is intractable to use Newton's laws in electrodynamics (it is not impossible, there are pseudo-mechanical formulations of E&M, including Maxwell's own model, that allow us to apply Newtonian mechanics to find
lalbatros
This is apparently a well known topic, but I did not know it before today.
Let us consider the Ampère law for the force experience by a current element (1) in the magnetic fields of another current elment (2):

[tex]\mathbf{dF}_{12} = \frac {\mu_0} {4 \pi} I_1 I_2 \frac {d \mathbf{s_2}\ \mathbf{ \times} \ (d \mathbf{s_1} \ \mathbf{ \times } \ \hat{\mathbf{r}}_{12} )} {r_{12}^2} [/tex]

You can easily check that the "action and reaction" are not balanced by the Ampère law since:

[tex]\mathbf{dF}_{12} + \mathbf{dF}_{21} <> 0 [/tex]

How should we understand that?

Physics news on Phys.org
That force law is only valid if ds_1 and ds_2 are integrated over closed circuits.
Then a little vector calculus can be used to put it into a different form that does have
F_12=F_21. This form is called the Neumann form. It depends on the dot product of
ds_1 and ds_2.
This is shown in most EM textbooks.

It's a fascinating fact that the electromagnetic field itself carries momentum in classical electrodynamics, and this causes Newton's third law to appear to fail. For this reason it is intractable to use Newton's laws in electrodynamics (it is not impossible, there are pseudo-mechanical formulations of E&M, including Maxwell's own model, that allow us to apply Newtonian mechanics to find the missing reaction forces and momentum, but no one does this). Instead it is more convenient to use Lagrangian methods and/or the covariant formulation of E&M i.e. the faraday tensor, etc.

But NIII does apply for constant currents in closed loops.

clem said:
But NIII does apply for constant currents in closed loops.

Thanks for clarifying this point, I did not mean to imply that NIII is never valid in electromagnetism.

Thanks clem, I found the symmetric form in Jackson.
I realize of course that a current element can never exist outside of a closed circuit.
Therefore, in itself, the force on a current element alone could never be measured and could probably not be defined without ambiguity.
On the other hand microscopic forces can be clearly defined and verified experimentally.
Therefore, one can clearly say that current element are not really part of "fundamental physics".

However, I would be interrested by a extended discussion of this topic.
For example, would it not be possible to modelize the forces in a wire from a miscroscipic point of view?
Also, I will go back to my MHD notes and see if it could improve my understanding of this topic.
In MHD, would this ambiguity remain as such or would it be easier to understand?

Thanks

What is Ampère's force law?

Ampère's force law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the force between two parallel current-carrying wires. It states that the force between the two wires is directly proportional to the product of their currents and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What does the action-reaction principle have to do with Ampère's force law?

The action-reaction principle, also known as Newton's third law of motion, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of Ampère's force law, this means that the force on one wire due to the other wire is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force on the second wire due to the first wire.

How does Ampère's force law relate to magnetic fields?

Ampère's force law is one of the four Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It specifically relates the magnetic field to the movement of charges, as the force between the two parallel wires is caused by the interaction of their magnetic fields.

Can Ampère's force law be used to calculate the force between non-parallel wires?

No, Ampère's force law is only applicable to parallel wires. For non-parallel wires, the force can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which takes into account the angle between the wires.

How is Ampère's force law used in practical applications?

Ampère's force law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets and electric motors. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and the generation of electromagnetic waves.