Employability of A.S. Degree in Engineering Science

In summary, many industry professionals see an Associate's Degree in Engineering Science from a Community College as a stepping stone to a Bachelor's degree. However, this degree also provides valuable skills such as calculus, physics, and engineering courses that can make someone highly marketable for lighter engineering work or technical sales. Starting salaries may be lower than someone with a Bachelor's degree, and there are limitations on professional engineering certification. It is recommended to ultimately pursue a Bachelor's degree in a specific engineering field for better job prospects and earning potential.
MadMike1986
Hi, I'm looking for some input from industry professionals on the employability of an individual with only an Associate's Degree in Engineering Science from a Community College. Generally this degree is meant only to get you into a 4 year school so you can finish a bachelors, but it involves taking Calculus through multi-variable and differential equations as well as calc based physics I and II (plus the optional Modern Physics). Usually Statics, Dynamics, Mechanics of Materials, Circuit Analysis, Digital Electronics, and Computer Aided Engineering Classes are also taken with a Final Design Project in the last semester. It seems like someone possesing these skills would be highly marketable, if not as a full fledged engineer but as someone doing either light engineering work or perhaps technical sales. What kind of positions would you consider hiring someone with this background for? what kind of starting salaries can they expect. There seems to be little to know info on this degree, considering that it's sole intent is to get you into a 4 year school. Personally I'm impatient and want to get my hands dirty in some real work, while not racking up debt (maybe get an employer to pay my way through the rest). I appreciate all responses, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Going to work at this point sounds like a good recipe for assuring that you will not ever finish an engineering degree.

Not obtaining a bachelor's degree doesn't bother me. If anyone has any information on the employability of the degree that I actually have, I would greatly appreciate it.

Check out Careerbuilder and Monster to get an idea.

From the engineers I've spoken to, the only people with associates in engineering science they actively look for are those who are gods with software packages like AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and other drafting/design packages. But even then, you will most likely hit a ceiling in earnings that is half that (or less) than someone with a BS in engineering.

I'm one class away from having an associates in engineering science, but I'm transferring to a University to get my BS. I've actually decided not to take that single class (a general-education course that doesn't transfer to my university).

If you make it through all the math, science/labs, and general-education courses you might as well just finish the bachelors degree - the investment is well worth it.

You also can't get professional engineering certification without a BS.

You will probably be able to get on as a drafter or a technician if you want technical work, or a salesman if you like to shoot the breeze and talk nonsense.

It sounds like a really cool program IF you are planning on getting a Bachelors degree in Engineering. Without a Bachelor's degree in a real engineering program (civil, electrical, or mechanical) that's ABET accredited, you will have a tough time finding someone to hire you.

1. What is an A.S. degree in Engineering Science?

An A.S. degree in Engineering Science is an associate degree that provides students with a foundation in engineering principles and mathematics. It typically takes 2 years to complete and prepares students for entry-level positions in the field of engineering.

2. What types of jobs can I get with an A.S. degree in Engineering Science?

With an A.S. degree in Engineering Science, you can work in a variety of fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and more. Some common job titles include engineering technician, drafter, and quality control technician.

3. Is an A.S. degree in Engineering Science enough to get a job in the engineering industry?

An A.S. degree in Engineering Science can help you land an entry-level job in the engineering industry. However, many employers prefer candidates with a bachelor's degree or higher for advanced positions. With experience and further education, you can advance your career in the engineering field.

4. Can I transfer my A.S. degree in Engineering Science to a 4-year university?

Yes, many community colleges offer transfer programs for A.S. degree holders to continue their education at a 4-year university. However, it is important to check with the specific university and program to ensure that your credits will transfer.

5. How can I enhance my employability with an A.S. degree in Engineering Science?

To enhance your employability with an A.S. degree in Engineering Science, you can gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs. You can also consider obtaining additional certifications or pursuing a bachelor's degree to advance your skills and knowledge in a specific area of engineering.