Existence and Uniqueness of Solution for PDE with Boundary Conditions

• Thread starter somethingstra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, we are given a PDE problem with boundary conditions and asked if there is a solution and if it is the only solution. Utilizing the equation for first order PDEs, we found a solution of u(x,y) = g(x+3y). However, this solution only satisfies one of the boundary conditions and not the other. Therefore, there is no solution that satisfies both boundary conditions, indicating that there is no solution to this problem.
somethingstra

Homework Statement

Assume we are in the open first quadrant in the (x,y) plane
Say we have u(x,y) a C1 function in the closed first quadrant that satisfies the PDE:

[tex]u_{y}=3u_{x}[/tex] in the open first quadrant

Boundary Conditions:
u(0,y)=0 for t greater than or equal to 0
u(x,0)= g(x) for x greater than or equal to 0

and g(x) = 0 for [tex]0\preceq x\preceq1[/tex]
g(x) = (x-1)^5 for x greater than or equal to 1

Is there a solution? And if there is, is the the only solution?

Homework Equations

For first order PDE: solution is f(Ay-Bx) where the PDE is AUx + BUy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u(x,y) = f(-x-3y)[/tex]

so that means

[tex]u(0,y) = f(-3y)=0[/tex]

[tex]u(x,0) = f(-x)=g(x)[/tex]

set -x = w

f(w) = g(-x)

therefore f(-x-3y) = g(x+3y)

and u(x,y) = g(x+3y)

This solution works for u(x,0) but I can't find it to work with u(0,y), if y > 1/3, then the solution would be (x-1)^5 with x greater than or equal to 1, which does not satisfy u(0,y) = 0

so I concluded that there is no solution...this doesn't seem right for me. Any help? I feel that I don't actually have to try to find u in order to determine if a solution exists...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, maybe in a traditional pde view, it would be more helpful to think of y as t for time?

bump, am I being too confusing here?

bump...I have kind of a part two question depending on how correct my answer is.

Last edited:
Oh, nevermind, I got it =]

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It describes the relationship between these variables and how they change in relation to each other.

2. What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation is that a PDE involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives, while an ODE only involves one variable and its derivatives.

3. What is the importance of finding solutions to PDEs?

Solutions to PDEs are crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They help us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena, and can also be used to develop new technologies and solve real-world problems.

4. What are some common methods for solving PDEs?

Some common methods for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and numerical methods such as finite element analysis and finite volume methods.

5. Are there any challenges associated with finding solutions to PDEs?

Yes, solving PDEs can be a challenging task due to their complex nature and the use of advanced mathematical techniques. The choice of method and accuracy of the solution are important considerations, and some PDEs may not have analytical solutions and require numerical methods.