How does one become a nuclear physicist? (go ahead laugh it up im used to it)

In summary: Otherwise, I suggest you move on to more productive topics.In summary, this person is looking for advice on how to become a successful nuclear physicist, and is frustrated that other members of the forum do not take nuclear physics seriously. They believe that nuclear physicists are special, and that they will have a major impact in future wars. They are currently in the middle of completing their undergraduate degree in nuclear engineering, and are considering either going to graduate school to pursue a nuclear physicist degree, or going to a university that offers a nuclear engineering program and supplementing their undergraduate physics curriculum.
Luongo
Every time i mention atomic science as an area of study everyone goes HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah well stanton friedman had to have started somewhere, i don't care what others think, i will study 24/7 until I'm 70 if i have to i am interested in this topic and nuclear physicists are ALL that matters once WW III comes out. there will only be nuclear scientists, dictators and everyone else will be civillians. because the next war will be one for the books. but seriously get all the AHAHAHA out of your system and if anyone is willing to be serious about this I'm willing to talk about it, and yes i know the odds of becoming a sucessful nuclear physicist. I'm aware of everything, does anyone on here have any backround in this subject? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my personal experiences, being one semester away from graduation with a degree in nuclear engineering, I would recommend you research undergraduate physics programs and get into the best program you can. To have a major impact in a field like Nuclear Physics you will likely need education (Masters, PHD) beyond a general bachelors degree. Therefore, I would recommend your first focus be in getting the best grades possible in a more general physics education then pursue the more "nuclear" side of things in graduate school. A second possibility would be to attend a university that offers nuclear engineering as a major and supplement your undergraduate physics curriculum with some nukeE classes.

Go to uni with nuke program---->Obtain B.S.(in physics)--->Goto grad school for nuke program---->obtain PHD in nuke physics

See, not so hard.

As a nuclear physicist a lot of your time will be spent communicating with other physicists. It would be valuable to spend the intervening time working on that - punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, etc.

Likes DeBangis21
To become a nuclear physicist do you have to become a engineer first?

Vanadium 50 said:
As a nuclear physicist a lot of your time will be spent communicating with other physicists. It would be valuable to spend the intervening time working on that - punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, etc.

Hey, I take offense to that. Is this better for you?

Luongo said:
Hey, I take offense to that.

Sorry to hear that. It's hardly my fault that you choose to write that way, though. And make no mistake, it is an impediment to your goals.

If you take offense any time someone points out an impediment to your goals, don't expect to get very far.

What's the difference between nuclear physics and nuclear engineering? Just the standard practical/theory distinction?

Basically, yes. A "nuclear engineer" is an engineer, typically with an engineering degree, who works at a nuclear power plant. A "nuclear physicist" is a scientist with a degree in physics who may work at a nuclear power plant or other type of company but more likely at a University.

I'm baffled by the tone of this post, just, what?

This forum exists because knowledgeable are happy to share experience and advice with those who look for it. If you've ever visted PF before, or read any of the threads here, you'll know there's never a "HAHAHAHAHAH", as you put it, reaction to any serious questions. I'm puzzled where you might have received such a response - there isn't anything special about being a 'nuclear physicist' - it's simply one of the many branches of physics. I don't see why you seem to think that nuclear physics is on some higher-only-einstein-could-achieve-it plane, but the fact that you're both hinting at that and acting as if it's the only thing you'd ever consider doing means there's some things you need to consider.

Where are you in the education system at the moment? No matter how attractive some things in popular science etc. may seem to be, it's wise to always keep your options open - don't close opinions too early, otherwise you'll come to reject certain fields that you may have enjoyed for no good reason.

Of course it's a good idea to follow things that you think are enjoyable, but only when you have an understanding of what's actually involved in these areas is it sensible to decide to devote all of your time to it. Lastly, I don't believe you really asked any questions in the opening most, it seemed like more of a silly rant. If you have any actual questions, go ahead and ask.

1. What education and training is required to become a nuclear physicist?

To become a nuclear physicist, one typically needs at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Many nuclear physicists also have a graduate degree in a specialized area of nuclear physics, such as nuclear engineering or nuclear chemistry. In addition, extensive training in mathematics, computer science, and other scientific disciplines is necessary to be successful in this field.

2. Is it necessary to have a specific background or expertise to become a nuclear physicist?

While a background in physics or a related field is essential for becoming a nuclear physicist, other areas of expertise can also be beneficial. For example, knowledge in engineering, chemistry, or materials science can be helpful when working with nuclear materials and processes.

3. What skills are necessary to become a nuclear physicist?

Nuclear physicists must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in mathematics and scientific research methods. They also need to be detail-oriented and have excellent critical thinking abilities. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also important, as nuclear physicists often collaborate with other scientists and engineers on complex projects.

4. Are there any specific certifications or licenses required to become a nuclear physicist?

In most cases, there are no specific certifications or licenses required to become a nuclear physicist. However, depending on the specific job duties, some states may require nuclear physicists to obtain a license to work with radioactive materials. Additionally, some employers may prefer or require a professional certification, such as the Certified Health Physicist (CHP) credential offered by the American Board of Health Physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for nuclear physicists?

Nuclear physicists can work in a variety of industries, including government agencies, research institutions, and private companies. They may have job titles such as nuclear engineer, health physicist, or nuclear research scientist. Some common areas of focus for nuclear physicists include nuclear energy, nuclear weapons, and medical applications of nuclear technology. Additionally, there are opportunities for advancement into management or leadership roles within the field of nuclear physics.

Back