Finding the Perfect PDEs Book for Math Majors

• Thread starter logarithmic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Pdes
In summary: Based on the recommendations, a good book for PDEs would be "Partial Differential Equations" by Lawrence Evans. This book is more advanced, rigorous, and has positive reviews on Amazon. It is recommended for math majors and is moderately priced. In summary, "Partial Differential Equations" by Lawrence Evans is a recommended book for PDEs for math majors looking for a rigorous and moderately priced option.
logarithmic
Can anyone recommend me a good book on PDEs? I'm looking for something more rigorous, for math majors, and being moderately priced is a plus too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't anyone use the search function anymore? this thread is ten days old.

I'm not for sure of your math level, but the book I used in my introductory class to PDEs was
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817639675/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Jeffery Cooper
All you need before this book is the standard calculus sequence plus differential equations. It wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't great either. You can definitely learn from it. It needs better and more examples, more organization, and a new edition as it is sloppy in places.

The book we'll be using next year is
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821807722/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Lawrence Evans
I haven't gotten it yet or looked through it, but the Amazon reviews are very positive. It is more advanced than the above book and probably much more rigorous.
Landau said:
Doesn't anyone use the search function anymore? this thread is ten days old.

Well that thread was asking for a more applied book, whereas the poster here is asking for a more rigorous book.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a PDEs book?

A PDEs book is a book that covers the mathematical topic of partial differential equations (PDEs). PDEs are equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives, and are commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. Why is it important for a PDEs book to be suitable for math majors?

Math majors are typically more advanced in their mathematical knowledge and skills, and therefore require a more rigorous and comprehensive treatment of PDEs compared to other students. A PDEs book suitable for math majors will cover the subject matter in more depth and with more mathematical rigor, making it better suited for their level of understanding.

3. What should I look for in a PDEs book for math majors?

When searching for a PDEs book for math majors, it is important to consider the level of mathematical rigor, the depth of coverage of the subject matter, and the clarity of explanations and examples. Additionally, a good PDEs book should have a variety of exercises and problems to help students practice and apply the concepts learned.

4. Can a PDEs book be used for self-study?

Yes, a PDEs book can be used for self-study, as long as the reader has a strong foundation in mathematics and is willing to put in the effort to understand the material. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a professor or tutor if possible, as they can provide additional insights and help clarify any confusing concepts.

5. Are there any recommended PDEs books for math majors?

There are many excellent PDEs books available, and the best one for you will depend on your personal learning style and level of mathematical proficiency. Some popular options include "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter Strauss, "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley Farlow, and "Partial Differential Equations: Methods, Applications and Theories" by J. David Logan.