Find average force during contact when ball hits wall.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tennis ball being hit by a professional player and bouncing off a wall with almost the same speed. The question is asked about the magnitude of the average force exerted by the wall on the ball during contact, to which the person seeking help responds that they have attempted the problem but did not copy everything they wrote on paper. The person offering help urges them to share their attempts so they can be guided in the right direction. The person seeking help expresses frustration with the forum and the assumption that their attempts are not good enough. The conversation ends with the person offering help encouraging the person seeking help to try again and not worry about sharing their attempts.
hankliu
A tennis ball has a mass of 0.057 kg. A professional tennis player hits the ball hard enough to give it a speed of 44 m/s (about 99 miles per hour.) The ball moves toward the left, hits a wall and bounces straight back to the right with almost the same speed (44 m/s). As indicated in the diagram below, high-speed photography shows that the ball is crushed about 2 cm at the instant when its speed is momentarily zero, before rebounding.

What is the magnitude of the average force exerted by the wall on the ball during contact?

Physics news on Phys.org
The instant the ball touches the wall it starts accelerating for 2cm. After you figure out what too do with that you just use the impulse equation.

You're also suppossed to post equations needed + work.

Welcome to PF.
Before you seek our help, you have show your attempt.
What are the relevant equations you can use to solve this problem?

rl.bhat said:
Welcome to PF.
Before you seek our help, you have show your attempt.
What are the relevant equations you can use to solve this problem?

i did attempt the problem. spend half hour on it. I just didn't copy everything i wrote on paper. Thought it would be too messy on forum and no one would want to read all that junk.

The problem with you guys is that you assume the worst of people.

hankliu said:
i did attempt the problem. spend half hour on it. I just didn't copy everything i wrote on paper. Thought it would be too messy on forum and no one would want to read all that junk.

Writing the relevant equations and substituting the given values is not a messy work.
Before extending our help, we must, how much you know about the problem.

Can you say why the ball stops before it rebounds?

idk. maybe because it hit the wall.

but i do know: this forum suck ***.

hankliu said:

hankliu said:
idk. maybe because it hit the wall.

but i do know: this forum suck ***.

That's very unfair,there are people on this forum who regularly and freely give their time and advice, but in order to help you best it is necessary to know what you have already tried so that you can be guided in the right direction.So what if you think your previous attempts have been what you call "junk",I don't think many people here would be too concerned about that.How about trying again and please don't worry about presenting what you have tried, no matter how little or wrong you think this may be.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding average force during contact when a ball hits a wall?

The formula for finding average force during contact when a ball hits a wall is: average force = change in momentum / time interval.

2. How do you measure the change in momentum and time interval?

The change in momentum can be measured by calculating the difference between the initial and final momentum of the ball. The time interval can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated average force?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated average force, such as the elasticity of the ball and the wall, the angle at which the ball hits the wall, and any external forces acting on the ball during the contact.

4. Can this formula be applied to any object hitting a wall or just a ball?

This formula can be applied to any object hitting a wall, as long as the object's initial and final momentum can be measured and the time interval can be accurately recorded.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating average force during contact when a ball hits a wall?

This formula can be used in sports such as baseball, where the force of impact between the bat and the ball hitting a wall can be calculated. It can also be used in engineering to design and test the durability of materials used in construction, such as walls or barriers.