Statics Problem - Not sure why answer is answer

• Thread starter akhmed966
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary: Thanks.In summary, Matt calculated the angle between the X-axis and the B-axis using arctan(12/5). He then found the angles of the Y-components by solving for cos(theta) and sin(theta). He realized that the Y-components were equal and opposite, and thus the weight could not be equal to the angle. Matt found the solution by solving for Wa(5/13) and Wa(12/13)+Wa.
akhmed966
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8880/capturejfu.jpg

I did arctan(12/5) to get the degrees + 180 to get the angle from the X axis to B, then I just split the angles into components.

I did 100*cos(246) + 100*cos(theta) = 0, and I got 67 degrees.
Then I was doing the Y components, and realized they were equal and opposite, so it would equal 0, which the weight can't be equal to.

So I looked at the solution, and here how the answer is found.

Sum of X: 100cos(theta) = Wa(5/13)
Sum of Y: 100sin(theta) = Wa(12/13)+Wa

Why is the answer figured like this, and when do I do it differently from sum of the components? I'm totally lost, but I have a slight idea.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why, did you add the 180 degrees? Assuming the x-axis is at the center of the pully the angle is simply tan^-1(12/5)?

Also, draw a simple free body diagram to find the force vector components. You will find the actual numerical value of the angle is not needed.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
I meant the positive X axis.

Also, I did draw a free body diagram, but I am not sure why I couldn't add the sum of the components.

You seem to be assuming that the tension in cord CD and BC are both 100 lbs. That is not correct. Also, you are not noting that the tension in cords draped around frictionless ideal pulleys are the same on both sides of the wrap (that is, Tension in AC = Tension in BC). Draw an FBD of the hanging weight, and redo your FBD of the pulley at joint C.

The tension in AC = BC? Do you mean the tension in BC = DC?

I still don't see how the equation was formed, could someone explain how the equation was determined?

akhmed966 said:
The tension in AC = BC?
Yes. The cord ACB is one continuous chord wrapped around an ideal pulley, in which case AC = BC.
Do you mean the tension in BC = DC?
No.
I still don't see how the equation was formed, could someone explain how the equation was determined?
The system is in equilibrium. Draw a FBD of the weight to determine that the tension in AC must be W_a. Then draw an FBD of the pulley at C, and you should be able to get the same equations as the book's to solve for theta and W_a. Which cord do you think has the 100 pound tension load?.

1. What is statics problem?

Statics problem is a type of physics problem that deals with objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves analyzing forces acting on an object and determining their effects on its motion.

2. How is statics problem different from dynamics problem?

While both statics and dynamics problems deal with forces and motion, the main difference is that statics problems involve objects that are not accelerating, while dynamics problems involve objects that are accelerating.

3. What are the key principles of statics problem?

The key principles of statics problem are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How do you approach solving a statics problem?

To solve a statics problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, you can use equations such as Newton's second law and the equations for equilibrium to find the unknown values.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving a statics problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a statics problem include not considering all the forces acting on the object, not correctly labeling the direction of forces, and not using the correct equations for the given situation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.