Potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction

In summary, the conversation discussed a test question about a nuclear reaction potential energy diagram. The question asked what the diagram would look like with 1 mole of reactant, but did not specify the type of reactant or the type of nuclear reaction. The options for the answer were described, with option d) being chosen as the correct answer. The conversation also touched on the concept of endothermic and exothermic reactions, and the energy levels involved in nuclear reactions. The accuracy of the numbers given in the question was debated, with one participant questioning the validity of the question.
shredder666
Saw this on a test question today, it asked if you had 1 mole of reactant (don't know what kind of reactant though...), what would the nuclear reaction potential energy diagram look (don't know if its fusion or fission or exothermic or endothermic it just said nuclear reaction...)? (The reaction progress vs. potential energy diagram that compares energy of reactant and product)

Its multiple choice since I can't really draw, I'll describe it I'll try to draw tho

a) shows that the reaction is exothermic with potential change of 550kj, two horizontal (slope is 0) lines that looks something like this

-_

b) shows the reaction is exothermic with Energy change of 2.2x10^22KJ (I have no idea where my teacher gets these data lol) that looks like the "graph" above but just more energy released

c) shows the reaction is endothermic with energy change of 550kj

_-

d) shows the reaction is exothermic with energy change of 2.2x10^22KJ
\_

The graph for d is less slant (with like a slope of 1 or something)

I chose d) for the answer cus it doesn't make sense to me how 20 times the energy of a strong Earth quake could be released in an instant =/

EDIT: ok uhh the "diagram" isn't showing up right lol, I made it a lot smaller...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really not konw what the reaction is and you have to say what the potential energy diagram looks like?

Nuclear reactions that are endothermic involve shooting atoms at each other at high speeds.

2.2*10^22 KJ is far more energy than could be produced by any nuclear reaction from a mole of stuff, including converting the entire mass to energy. you can only get [itex] E = mc^2 [/itex] of energy.
m < 1kg and c^2 is only 9*10^17, so E < 9*10^17 J

550 KJ/mole is a very small energy for a nuclear reaction. Most chemical reactions produce more energy.

well I remember the test, and its crystal clear in my mind

The numbers aren't wrong... I didn't think it made sense but I guessed that nuclear reaction would be more energetic than just 500kj lol

And there was no given equation or quantity at all just 1 mole, and it tells that its a nuclear reaction lol

Do you think this is bad question?

What is a potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction?

A potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction is a visual representation of the potential energy changes that occur during a nuclear reaction. It shows the energy levels of the reactants and products, as well as the energy barrier that must be overcome for the reaction to take place.

What does a potential energy diagram tell us about a nuclear reaction?

A potential energy diagram provides information about the energy changes that occur during a nuclear reaction. It shows the amount of energy released or absorbed during the reaction and the stability of the reactants and products. It also illustrates the energy barrier that must be overcome for the reaction to proceed.

How is a potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction different from other types of potential energy diagrams?

A potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction is different from other types of potential energy diagrams because it specifically shows the energy changes that occur during a nuclear reaction. Other potential energy diagrams may show changes in energy for chemical reactions or physical processes.

What factors can affect the shape of a potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction?

The shape of a potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction can be affected by several factors, including the type of nuclear reaction, the stability of the reactants and products, and the energy of the particles involved in the reaction. The shape may also change depending on the conditions under which the reaction takes place, such as temperature or pressure.

How can a potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction be used to predict the outcome of a reaction?

A potential energy diagram for a nuclear reaction can be used to predict the outcome of a reaction by examining the energy levels of the reactants and products. If the products are at a lower energy level than the reactants, the reaction is exothermic and will likely occur spontaneously. If the products are at a higher energy level, the reaction is endothermic and may require external energy to proceed.