Advanced Heat Transfer - Conduction Cooling in Turbine Blade

In summary, the conversation is about solving an advanced heat transfer problem with a 2nd order ODE. The speaker is having trouble with the non-homogeneous solution and has already found the complimentary solution. They are trying to find the particular solution and need two boundary conditions, including the temperature at the base of the fin. They are hesitant to use a condition related to heat transfer at the fin tip because it would introduce a dependence on x and complicate the problem.
MechanicalMan
I am trying to solve an advanced heat transfer problem and I have a 2nd order ODE. I can solve the homogeneous solution easily, but I am having trouble with the non-homogeneous solution.

Homework Statement

Given a turbine blade and asked to model as a one-dimensional fin, subject to the following constraints:

Troot = 900 deg F
Lfin = 3.6 in
A = 0.506 in^2
Tg (external gas flowing over the fin/blade) = 1500 deg F
Pfin = 2.1 in
k = 8.1 BTU/hr ft deg F
h = 36.6 BTU/hr ft^2 deg F

There is a small element dx with the following thermal energy in/out of it: qx coming out in the negative x-direction, qg into it from the ambient and q(x+dx) coming into the element. At the root, there is a value q0 transferring into the disk through conduction. The temperature along the length of the blade is a function of x.

Homework Equations

Energy balance on small element dx

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far:
qin = qout
h[T(x) - Tg]Pdx + [(qx - ∂qx/∂x)A] = - qxA
h[T(x) - Tg]P + ∂qx/∂x*A = 0
h[T(x) - Tg]P + ∂/∂x{-k∂T(x)/∂x}A = 0
h[T(x) - Tg]P - k (∂2T/∂x2)A = 0
d2T/dx2 - (hP/Ak)*T(x) = -(hP/Ak)*Tg

I know that the solution to this non-homogeneous ODE is a combination of the complimentary solution and the particular solution. The roots of the homogeneous ODE yield:

r = +/- (hP/Ak)^1/2

Therefore the complementary portion of the solution is

T(x) = C1e^(hP/Ak)^0.5 + C2e^(hP/Ak)^0.5

I'm stuck now trying to find the particular solution. I am not sure which method to use. I tried variation of parameters but I can't seem to get something that makes sense. I know I should end up with a hyperbolic function, but I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
MechanicalMan said:
I am trying to solve an advanced heat transfer problem and I have a 2nd order ODE. I can solve the homogeneous solution easily, but I am having trouble with the non-homogeneous solution.

Homework Statement

Given a turbine blade and asked to model as a one-dimensional fin, subject to the following constraints:

Troot = 900 deg F
Lfin = 3.6 in
A = 0.506 in^2
Tg (external gas flowing over the fin/blade) = 1500 deg F
Pfin = 2.1 in
k = 8.1 BTU/hr ft deg F
h = 36.6 BTU/hr ft^2 deg F

There is a small element dx with the following thermal energy in/out of it: qx coming out in the negative x-direction, qg into it from the ambient and q(x+dx) coming into the element. At the root, there is a value q0 transferring into the disk through conduction. The temperature along the length of the blade is a function of x.

Homework Equations

Energy balance on small element dx

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far:
qin = qout
h[T(x) - Tg]Pdx + [(qx - ∂qx/∂x)A] = - qxA
Shouldn't this be
h[Tg - T(x)] P dx + qx A = [ qx - (dqx/dx) dx ]A
I.e.,
Heat in from ambient
+ Heat in from the +x side
= Heat out the -x side​

You seem to have some of your +/- signs off, plus there was a dx term missing in the "Heat out" expression. Also, partial derivatives don't apply since x is the only dependent variable.

h[T(x) - Tg]P + ∂qx/∂x*A = 0
h[T(x) - Tg]P + ∂/∂x{-k∂T(x)/∂x}A = 0
h[T(x) - Tg]P - k (∂2T/∂x2)A = 0
d2T/dx2 - (hP/Ak)*T(x) = -(hP/Ak)*Tg
I agree with this, so it looks like you just had some typos in posting your earlier part of the calculation.

I know that the solution to this non-homogeneous ODE is a combination of the complimentary solution and the particular solution. The roots of the homogeneous ODE yield:

r = +/- (hP/Ak)^1/2

Therefore the complementary portion of the solution is

T(x) = C1e^(hP/Ak)^0.5 + C2e^(hP/Ak)^0.5
I don't know if you really meant to write it this way. Where is the negative-root solution? Where is the x in the exponent terms?

I'm stuck now trying to find the particular solution. I am not sure which method to use. I tried variation of parameters but I can't seem to get something that makes sense. I know I should end up with a hyperbolic function, but I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Since there are two constants to find (C1 and C2), we need two boundary conditions. An obvious one is the temperature at the base of the fin. Another one would relate to the heat transfer at the fin tip. Find equations to express those conditions, and you should be able to get C1 and C2.

Redbelly98 said:
Shouldn't this be
h[Tg - T(x)] P dx + qx A = [ qx - (dqx/dx) dx ]A
I.e.,
Heat in from ambient
+ Heat in from the +x side
= Heat out the -x side​

You seem to have some of your +/- signs off, plus there was a dx term missing in the "Heat out" expression. Also, partial derivatives don't apply since x is the only dependent variable.

I agree with this, so it looks like you just had some typos in posting your earlier part of the calculation.

I don't know if you really meant to write it this way. Where is the negative-root solution? Where is the x in the exponent terms?

Since there are two constants to find (C1 and C2), we need two boundary conditions. An obvious one is the temperature at the base of the fin. Another one would relate to the heat transfer at the fin tip. Find equations to express those conditions, and you should be able to get C1 and C2.

Thanks, I did make some typos in the original statement, which is why it may seem off at some points. I did miss the negative root and I did miss the x in the exponent of my original post. I have the boundary conditions, but my only concern is that if I relate the heat transfer by convection at the tip to the conduction through the fin, I'll have an expression that is dependent on x. I do not know what T(L) is, so if I make that substitution, do I not just complicate the problem even more?

MechanicalMan said:
I do not know what T(L) is, so if I make that substitution, do I not just complicate the problem even more?
That's right, T(L) is not one of the boundary conditions.

Consider the dx element at the very tip of the fin. What is qx entering into that element (from the x+ direction)?

Redbelly98 said:
That's right, T(L) is not one of the boundary conditions.

Consider the dx element at the very tip of the fin. What is qx entering into that element (from the x+ direction)?

I managed to solve the problem, and after pages and pages of algebra, I have the solution in terms of hyperbolic functions. Thanks for the tips.

1. What is conduction cooling in turbine blades?

Conduction cooling in turbine blades is the transfer of heat through a solid material, such as a metal blade, due to a difference in temperature. This helps to prevent overheating and damage to the blade during operation.

2. How does conduction cooling work in turbine blades?

Conduction cooling works by transferring heat from the hotter regions of the blade to the cooler regions. This is achieved through the use of materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, and by designing the blade with features that promote heat transfer, such as fins or internal cooling channels.

3. What are the benefits of conduction cooling in turbine blades?

Conduction cooling offers several benefits in turbine blades, including improved efficiency, longer lifespan, and increased power output. It also allows for higher operating temperatures, which can lead to better performance and reduced emissions.

4. What are the challenges of implementing conduction cooling in turbine blades?

One of the main challenges of implementing conduction cooling in turbine blades is designing and manufacturing the blades with the necessary features, such as cooling channels, while still maintaining structural integrity. Additionally, the use of high thermal conductivity materials can be expensive and may require specialized manufacturing techniques.

5. What are some current advancements in conduction cooling technology for turbine blades?

Some current advancements in conduction cooling technology for turbine blades include the use of advanced materials, such as ceramic matrix composites, which have higher thermal conductivity than traditional metals. There is also ongoing research into new designs and methods for more efficient and effective heat transfer in turbine blades.