Solving PDEs with IC, BCs: Help from Kevin

• Thread starter jimmygriffey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation is about a PDE problem with a delta(t) term and given initial and boundary conditions. The person is asking for help in solving it and another person named Kevin suggests using the Laplace transform, while also mentioning a similar problem that they have encountered before. The original person agrees that the Laplace transform can be used and mentions the difficulty in converting back to the time domain. Kevin suggests using a separable solution approach.
jimmygriffey
Hi:

I have the following PDE:

ytzz=yzzzz+delta(t)

With I.C.: t=0, y=0; and B.C.s: z=0, y=0,yzz=0; z=-x,y=0,yz=0

Can someone show me how to solve it?

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is δ(t). The one is very similar to the previous one. After taking Laplace transform in t, this one will become the previous one. If I use the method pointed by other people, I have hard time to convert back (inverse Laplace transform) to time domain. That's why I ask the question again.

Kevin

jimmygriffey said:
Yes, it is δ(t). The one is very similar to the previous one. After taking Laplace transform in t, this one will become the previous one. If I use the method pointed by other people, I have hard time to convert back (inverse Laplace transform) to time domain. That's why I ask the question again.

Kevin
Yes - if one uses the Laplace Transform (which takes an equation from time domain to frequncy domain) then I believe it is the same problem. I'm expecting the problem is separable, i.e. Y(z,t) = Z(z)T(t). See if that works.

1. How do I solve a Partial Differential Equation (PDE) with initial and boundary conditions?

To solve a PDE with initial and boundary conditions, you must first identify the type of PDE (e.g. elliptic, parabolic, hyperbolic) and the specific form of the equation. Then, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or finite difference methods to solve the equation.

2. What is the purpose of initial and boundary conditions in solving PDEs?

Initial conditions specify the values of the solution at the starting point, while boundary conditions specify the values of the solution at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions are necessary to uniquely determine the solution to a PDE, as they provide additional information to supplement the equation itself.

3. How can I check if my solution to a PDE with initial and boundary conditions is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your solution is by plugging it back into the original PDE and verifying that it satisfies the equation and all of the specified conditions. You can also compare your solution to known analytical or numerical solutions, if available.

4. Can I use software or programming languages to solve PDEs with initial and boundary conditions?

Yes, there are many software and programming options available for solving PDEs with initial and boundary conditions. Some popular choices include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python libraries such as SciPy and SymPy. These tools often have built-in functions and packages specifically designed for solving PDEs.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving PDEs with initial and boundary conditions?

The best way to improve your skills is through practice and studying various techniques and methods for solving PDEs. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online courses, or workshops, and work on solving a variety of PDE problems with different types of initial and boundary conditions.