Summer before grad school at grad school?

In summary, the individual is considering attending a physics graduate school ranked between 10 and 40 and is wondering about the likelihood of being able to work as a TA or RA over the summer before classes start. They are currently doing paid research at their undergraduate institution and are unsure whether to sign a sub-lease and potentially miss out on a TA or RA position or not sign a sub-lease and risk not finding an apartment in time. The individual is seeking advice on how to handle this situation. It is suggested that they contact the schools they are applying to and inquire about summer work opportunities. They are also advised to discuss potential arrangements with their landlord to avoid being left without housing if their plans change.
Alex.UPitt
I'm looking at (physics) grad schools "ranked" between 10 and 40. How common is it to start working at grad school in some capacity (TA, RA, etc.) over the summer before classes start?

I could stay at my undergrad institution this summer and keep doing (paid) research. But that would require signing a sub-lease for an apartment, and then I wouldn't be able to go to grad school over the summer if I were offered a job as a TA or RA. Alternatively, I could not sign any sub-leases and keep my options open, but then my fiancee and I might have real trouble finding an apartment in time. What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot...

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex.UPitt said:
What do you suggest?
It depends on the school. I had one friend who started her research work in the summer (MIT). Another friend was around all summer (BU). You may just want to call up and ask the different places that you're applying to.

Do you have a good relationship with your landlord? If so, call him or her up and see about working out something that won't leave you homeless if the deal doesn't happen. My landlord allows monthly extensions, but wants two months notice.

It is not uncommon for graduate students to start working in some capacity (TA, RA, etc.) over the summer before classes start at their graduate school. This can be a great opportunity to get a head start on your research and get familiar with the campus and faculty. However, it is important to consider your options and make a decision that works best for you and your situation.

If you have the option to continue paid research at your undergraduate institution, that can be a valuable experience and may also provide financial stability. However, it is also important to keep in mind that starting your graduate program early can give you a jumpstart and potentially open up opportunities for funding or assistantships.

In terms of housing, it may be worth discussing your options with your fiancée and considering if there are any alternative living arrangements that could work for both of you. Alternatively, you could also explore the possibility of finding temporary housing near your graduate school for the summer if necessary.

Ultimately, the decision will depend on your priorities and what you feel will be the best fit for you and your fiancée. I would suggest discussing your options with your graduate program advisor and other graduate students to get a better understanding of the expectations and opportunities available at your specific graduate school. Good luck with your decision and your future studies!

1. What should I do during the summer before starting grad school?

The summer before grad school is a great time to relax and recharge before the demands of graduate studies. You can also use this time to prepare for the upcoming academic year by reading relevant materials, brushing up on skills, and reaching out to professors or classmates for advice.

2. Should I work during the summer before grad school?

It is not necessary to work during the summer before grad school, but it can be beneficial to gain some experience in your field or save up some money for the upcoming school year. Just make sure to balance work and relaxation to avoid burnout.

3. How can I prepare financially for grad school during the summer?

You can start by creating a budget and saving money for any necessary expenses, such as textbooks or housing. You can also look into scholarships and grants to help cover the costs of graduate studies. Additionally, you can reach out to your school's financial aid office for guidance.

4. What should I do if I feel anxious or overwhelmed about starting grad school?

It's normal to feel anxious or overwhelmed before starting grad school, but there are steps you can take to manage these feelings. You can reach out to current grad students or professors for advice and support, practice self-care and relaxation techniques, and remind yourself of your goals and motivations for pursuing graduate studies.

5. Is it important to network during the summer before grad school?

Networking can be a valuable tool for grad students, so it's a good idea to start building professional connections during the summer before grad school. You can attend conferences or events in your field, join online communities, or reach out to alumni or professionals in your desired career path.