Resistor Calculation for Alarm Clock Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the size of a resistor needed for an alarm clock with a delay of 1 minute between closing the switch and activating the circuit. The equation V=Vo * e^(-t/RC) is used, with V being the voltage across the capacitor and Vo being the voltage across the power source. The final answer is 14000ohms, but there is some confusion about the values used in the equation.
Masafi
In an alarm clock, there needs to be a delay of 1 minute between closing switch and circuit being active. A 2200microF capacitor is charged through a resistor from a 5V supply. The pd across capictor must rise to 4.3V for alarm to become active.

Calculate size of resistor.

The answer is 14000ohms. I need to use the equation: V=Vo * e^(-t/RC) with t = 60s

but I am not sure what to use for the value of the 2 V's.

Physics news on Phys.org
V is the voltage across the capacitor and Vo is the voltage across the power source.

ideasrule said:
V is the voltage across the capacitor and Vo is the voltage across the power source.

So:

4.3 = 5 e^(-t/RC)

but this doesn't give R=14000 ohms?

Masafi said:
I need to use the equation: V=Vo * e^(-t/RC)

Hi Masafi :smile:

No, for a capacitor being charged from zero, it's …

I(t) = (V0/R)e-t/RC

V(t) = V0(1 - e-t/RC)

(so the current becomes effectively zero, and the voltage across the capacitor becomes effectively V0, as t -> ∞)

1. What is a resistor and why is it important in an alarm clock circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that limits the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is important in an alarm clock circuit because it helps control the amount of current flowing through the circuit, which in turn affects the brightness of the display and the sound of the alarm.

2. How do I calculate the value of a resistor for my alarm clock circuit?

The value of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In an alarm clock circuit, the voltage and current values can be found in the circuit diagram or measured with a multimeter. Once these values are known, the desired resistance can be calculated using the formula R = V/I.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a resistor for my alarm clock circuit?

When choosing a resistor for an alarm clock circuit, it is important to consider the power rating, tolerance, and temperature coefficient. The power rating should be high enough to handle the amount of power in the circuit without overheating. The tolerance indicates how close the actual resistance will be to the calculated value, and a lower tolerance is generally preferred for more precise calculations. The temperature coefficient refers to how the resistance of the resistor changes with temperature, and a low temperature coefficient is important for stability in an alarm clock circuit.

4. Can I use any type of resistor in my alarm clock circuit?

In general, most types of resistors can be used in an alarm clock circuit. However, it is important to consider the specific requirements of the circuit, such as the power rating and temperature coefficient, when choosing a resistor. For example, a metal film resistor may be better suited for an alarm clock circuit than a carbon composition resistor due to its lower temperature coefficient.

5. How can I test the resistance of a resistor in my alarm clock circuit?

The resistance of a resistor can be tested using a multimeter, which measures electrical properties such as resistance, voltage, and current. To test the resistance of a resistor in an alarm clock circuit, simply place the multimeter leads on either end of the resistor and read the resistance value on the display. This can also be used to verify the calculated resistance value and ensure that the resistor is functioning properly in the circuit.