Nonlinear ODE with Hint: Solving for x and y

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a textbook by Henry J. Ricardo involving an ODE and a hint to rewrite the equation in terms of dx/dy. The speaker shares their attempted solution and asks for help in identifying where they went wrong. Another person suggests using the substitution e^y = z to solve the problem as a Bernoulli equation.
Kranz
Hello everyone and thanks for looking at my thread,

I had some trouble solving this ODE which was in a textbook by Henry J. Ricardo:

[tex]x(e^y - y') = 2[/tex].

This problem is from a section dealing with linear equations, but there is a hint beside the problem which reads, "Hint: Think of y as the independent variable, x as the dependent variable, and rewrite the equation in terms of dx/dy."

I tried to solve it by doing the following:

[tex]e^y - y' = 2 / x[/tex]
[tex]y' = e^y - 2 / x[/tex]
[tex]y' = (xe^y - 2) / x[/tex]
[tex]dx/dy = x / (xe^y - 2)[/tex]
[tex]xe^y + e^y (dx/dy) = x[/tex]
[tex]dx/dy + x = xe^{-y}[/tex]
[tex]dx/dy = x(e^{-y} - 1)[/tex]
[tex](1 / x)dx = (e^{-y} - 1)dy[/tex]
[tex]ln|x| + C = -e^{-y} - y[/tex]

However, I know that this is not the correct solution; I'm guessing that I went wrong somewhere when I rewrote the equation in terms of [tex]dx/dy[/tex], but I don't know how else I would approach the problem. Where did I go wrong with my work, and how would I proceed to solve the problem correctly?

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made an error when going from line 4 to line 5?. Line 4 starting with dx/dy is ok. But the next line doesn't seem right? I haven't check in detail, only quickly in my head, so who knows...

Torquil

I didn't look at your solution, but if you want to solve it just substitute e^y = z and it becomes the Bernoulli equation.

1. What is a nonlinear ODE?

A nonlinear ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. Unlike a linear ODE, which has a linear relationship between the function and its derivatives, a nonlinear ODE has a nonlinear relationship. This means that the function and its derivatives are raised to powers, multiplied, or divided, making the equation more complex to solve.

2. Why is solving a nonlinear ODE challenging?

Solving a nonlinear ODE can be challenging because there is no general method or formula for finding a solution. Each nonlinear ODE is unique and requires different techniques to solve. In addition, the solution may not always be an exact formula and may require numerical methods to approximate a solution.

3. What are some techniques for solving a nonlinear ODE?

There are several techniques for solving a nonlinear ODE, including substitution, separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series solutions. Depending on the specific equation, some techniques may be more effective than others. It is often necessary to combine multiple techniques to find a solution.

4. How can I check if my solution to a nonlinear ODE is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a solution is to substitute it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a computer program to graph both the original equation and the solution to see if they match. Additionally, some nonlinear ODEs have known exact solutions that can be used for comparison.

5. What is the significance of solving nonlinear ODEs?

Nonlinear ODEs are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics. By solving these equations, scientists and engineers can better understand and predict how these systems behave. Nonlinear ODEs also play a crucial role in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.