Integration Question: Deriving \int\frac{V_{x}}{V}=ln(V) | Homework Help

• Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, we have discussed methods for solving the partial differential equation 3U_{y}+U_{xy}=0, including using V=U_y and transforming it into a linear ordinary differential equation. Another method is to rewrite the equation as 3U+U_{x}=F(x) and use the general solution U(x,y)=H(x)e^{-3x}+G(y)e^{-3x} where H(x) and G(y) are arbitrary functions.
BustedBreaks
So in doing a homework problem I have convinced my self that [tex]\int\frac{V_{x}}{V}=ln(V)[/tex] which I vaguely remember learning in class, but I'm having trouble deriving it. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean, you want to show that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \ln(V(x)) = \frac{dV/dx}{x}[/tex] ?

Well, this follows from the chain rule and the fact that [itex]\frac{d}{du} \ln(u) = \frac{1}{u}[/itex].
The latter can be derived, for example by differentiating [tex]x = e^{\ln(x)}[/tex] w.r.t. x using the chain rule, and solving for d ln(x)/dx.

To give a bit more context.

I was trying to solve the partial differential equation: [tex]3U_{y}+U_{xy}=0[/tex] with the hint, let [tex]V=U_y[/tex]

substituting we have [tex] 3V+V_{x}=0[/tex]
then [tex]-3=\frac{V_{x}}{V}[/tex]

I didn't really know how to continue from here so I just played around and figured out that [tex]V=e^{3x}[/tex] and [tex]U(x,y)=ye^{-3x}[/tex]

I'm trying to figure out what to do when I come to [tex]-3=\frac{V_{x}}{V}[/tex].

Ah, then indeed you can use the integral you gave.

An alternative is to note that 3V + Vx = 0 is a linear ordinary differential equation. In that case, you can usually stick in [itex]V(x) = e^{\lambda x}[/itex] as a "trial" solution. The differential equation then turns into a polynomial equation for [itex]\lambda[/itex] with solutions [itex]\lambda_1, \cdots, \lambda_n[/itex], where n is the order of the ODE (in this case, n = 1). The general solution to the ODE is then
[tex]V(x) = A_1 e^{\lambda_1 x} + \cdots + A_n e^{\lambda_n x}[/itex]
where the Ai[/i] are to be determined (for example from initial or boundary values).

Note:

You can rewrite this as:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial{y}}(3U+U_{x})=0\to{3}U+U_{x}=F(x)[/tex]
where F is some arbitrary function of x.

This can be re-written as:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(e^{3x}U)=e^{3x}F(x)[/tex]

whereby the solution is given as:
[tex]U(x,y)=e^{-3x}\int(e^{3x}F(x))dx+G(y)e^{-3x}[/tex]

where G(y) is some arbitrary function in y.

Obviously, the first term can be replaced by some arbitrary function H(x).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of integration?

Integration is the process of combining or bringing together different parts or elements to form a whole. In science, it refers to the incorporation of new knowledge or concepts into existing theories or systems.

2. Why is integration important in scientific research?

Integration allows scientists to make connections between different fields or disciplines and create a more comprehensive understanding of a phenomenon. It also helps to identify gaps in knowledge and leads to the development of new theories and ideas.

3. How is integration different from interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary approaches?

While all three approaches involve combining different disciplines, integration is focused on merging different ideas or concepts into a cohesive whole, while interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches often involve parallel or complementary investigations without a unifying framework.

4. What are some challenges in achieving integration in scientific research?

One of the main challenges is the inherent complexity of many scientific phenomena, which can make it difficult to integrate different perspectives and theories. Additionally, interdisciplinary communication and collaboration can be challenging due to different terminology, methods, and assumptions.

5. How can scientists promote integration in their research?

Scientists can promote integration by actively seeking out collaborations with researchers from different disciplines, attending interdisciplinary conferences and workshops, and actively integrating diverse perspectives into their own work. Additionally, funding agencies and institutions can encourage integration by providing resources and support for interdisciplinary research projects.