Flow rate, time, height in MATLAB?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tank with vertical sides and a bottom area of 100ft^2 used to store water. The tank is initially empty and water is pumped into the top at various rates. The goal is to determine the water height after 10 minutes. The conversation also includes a table with the time and flow rate values. The person is confused about the relationship between water height and flow rate and is seeking clarification. They mention attempting to use the equation q/100 = z*10, but are unsure of how to properly relate the two variables.
CR3
Flow rate, time, height in MATLAB?

Homework Statement

A tank vertical sides and a bottom area of 100ft^2 is used to store water. The tank is initially empty. To fill the tank, water is pumped into the top at a rate given in the following table. Determine the water height h(t) at t= 10 min

Homework Equations

time (min) = [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]

flow rate (ft^3/min) =[0,80,130,150,150,160,165,170,160,140,120]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about the relationship between the water height and flow rate. This is what I tried:

diff(flow rate)./diff(time) = x

sum(x) = q

q/100

Physics news on Phys.org
= z z*10 = h(t) Can someone please explain to me the relationship between the water height and flow rate?

1. What is the relationship between flow rate, time, and height in MATLAB?

The relationship between flow rate, time, and height in MATLAB can be described by the equation: flow rate = height / time. This means that the flow rate is directly proportional to the height and inversely proportional to the time.

2. How do I calculate the flow rate, given the values for time and height in MATLAB?

To calculate the flow rate in MATLAB, you can use the following formula: flow rate = height / time. Simply input the values for height and time into the equation and MATLAB will calculate the flow rate for you.

3. Can I plot the flow rate, time, and height data in MATLAB?

Yes, you can plot the flow rate, time, and height data in MATLAB using the plot function. First, create vectors for the time and height values, and then calculate the corresponding flow rate values. Then, use the plot function to plot the flow rate values against the time or height values.

4. How can I analyze the flow rate, time, and height data in MATLAB?

There are several ways to analyze the flow rate, time, and height data in MATLAB. You can use statistical functions like mean, median, and standard deviation to analyze the data. You can also use the plot function to visualize the data and identify any trends or patterns.

5. Can I use MATLAB to simulate different flow rate scenarios?

Yes, MATLAB can be used to simulate different flow rate scenarios. You can create a model using the flow rate equation and then input different values for time and height to simulate different flow rate scenarios. This can be useful for predicting the flow rate in different situations.