Relay Coordination Time: BS 142:1966 Confirmed?

• Thread starter fannypf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relay
In summary, the conversation is about verifying if BS 142:1966 states that the grading time from relay to relay is 0.4s. The person asking the question does not have a copy of the standard and has been looking for it online. They are advised to check with local libraries and resources, and to also contact a user named m.s.j who works in the power industry and may be able to help. The person apologizes for using text speak and thanks the other user for their help.
fannypf
hi..i want to know if anyone of you can confirm of BS 142:1966 for relay coordination time is 0.4s? thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
fannypf said:
hi..i want to know if anyone of you can confirm of BS 142:1966 for relay coordination time is 0.4s? thx

Do you not have a copy of the standard?

hi...nope..i don't hv d copy..i've been looking in d i'net...but..i need to verify if BS142:1966 states that the grading time from relay to relay is o.4s..

thx

fannypf said:
hi...nope..i don't hv d copy..i've been looking in d i'net...but..i need to verify if BS142:1966 states that the grading time from relay to relay is o.4s..

thx

Please stop using txt speak here in the forums. Please check your private messages (PMs) about it.

On your question, you might get lucky here if somebody has a copy. But you might want to check with your local libraries or other resources.

You might also try PM'ing m.s.j with your question. He works in the power industry, I believe.

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=84682

o...thanks a lot..and..sorry about the txt speak..i'll bear that in mind..uhm...yea...thanks...i'll check with the local libraries and other resources..

and,thanks for giving me the contact..i'll PM him..i believe he can help...thank you again,berkeman...

What is relay coordination time?

Relay coordination time refers to the amount of time it takes for protective relays to respond to a fault or abnormal condition in an electrical system. It is an important factor in ensuring the reliability and safety of the system.

Why is relay coordination time important?

Relay coordination time is important because it helps prevent damage to equipment and disruption of service in an electrical system. By coordinating the response of different relays, faults can be isolated and cleared more efficiently, minimizing downtime and potential hazards.

What is BS 142:1966 Confirmed?

BS 142:1966 Confirmed is a British Standard that provides guidelines for the coordination of protective relays in electrical systems. It outlines the recommended settings and time delays for different types of relays to ensure effective coordination.

How is relay coordination time determined?

The relay coordination time is determined through a process called time-current coordination. This involves analyzing the time-current curves of different protective relays to ensure that the relay closest to the fault will operate first, followed by the next closest relay, and so on until the fault is isolated and cleared.

What factors can affect relay coordination time?

There are several factors that can affect relay coordination time, including the type and settings of the protective relays, the size and complexity of the electrical system, and the type and location of the fault. Changes in any of these factors may require adjustments to the coordination time to maintain the reliability and safety of the system.