Prospects for Math major EE minor applying for signals related EE PhD?

In summary, the speaker is a math major with a minor in electrical engineering, with a focus on signal processing and linear systems. They are also doing medical imaging research with the electrical engineering department. They are unsure if their lack of interest in certain areas of electrical engineering will disadvantage them when applying for EE PhD programs, but as long as they have experience working in theory and computation in signal processing and communications, they should be fine. Recommendations from EE professors and a background in applied mathematics may also help. Additionally, they suggest looking into statistics departments for related research opportunities.
1230wc
I'm a math major having taken 1st yr physics, programming, lab electronics, and a EE minor of 4-5 courses on signal processing and linear systems (including couple grad courses). I'm also doing medical imaging research w/ the EE dept this summer. I didn't major in EE b/c I've no interest in MOSFETS and digital design (and I get to graduate a year early w/ my current plans).

How disadvantaged am I applying to EE PHD programs (concentrating on signals related stuff) compared to BSEEs, if at all? Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you work in theory/computation groups in signal processing and communications, you should be fine. You'll want recommendations from EE professors you've collaborated with. Applied Mathematics will also help.

PS -- Many statistics departments have people working on statistical signal processing, channel estimation, etc.

1. What are the benefits of having a math major and EE minor when applying for a signals related EE PhD?

Having a math major and EE minor can demonstrate a strong background in both theoretical and applied mathematics, as well as a solid foundation in electrical engineering. This can be beneficial for a signals related EE PhD, as it requires a strong understanding of both mathematical concepts and practical applications.

2. Are there any specific courses or skills that are recommended for a math major EE minor applying for a signals related EE PhD?

Some recommended courses and skills for a math major EE minor applying for a signals related EE PhD include advanced calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex analysis, and programming skills in languages such as MATLAB or Python. Additional courses in signal processing, communication systems, and control theory can also be beneficial.

3. How can a math major EE minor demonstrate their interest in signals related research in their PhD application?

A math major EE minor can demonstrate their interest in signals related research by highlighting any relevant coursework, research projects, or internships in their application. They can also mention any publications or presentations related to signal processing or electrical engineering, and explain how their math background has prepared them for this field of study.

4. Are there any specific research areas within signals related EE that a math major EE minor should focus on?

Some research areas within signals related EE that a math major EE minor could focus on include signal processing, communication systems, control theory, and optimization. Other areas could include machine learning and data analytics, as these fields require a strong mathematical foundation.

5. How can a math major EE minor stand out in their PhD application for a signals related EE program?

In addition to highlighting their relevant coursework and research experience, a math major EE minor can stand out in their PhD application by showcasing any unique projects, awards, or leadership roles they have taken on. They can also emphasize their strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in signals related research.