Dirac equation & Dirac matrices

In summary, the discussion is about the dimensions of Dirac matrices and their representation in higher dimensions. The question is whether these higher-dimension matrices have a physical meaning or are just mathematical concepts. The speaker mentions that in their experience, only 4x4 matrices have been used in textbooks and courses. They also mention that experimentation is needed to determine the physical significance of higher-dimensional matrices.
eoghan
Hi! I was taught that the dirac matrices are AT LEAST 4x4 matrices, so that means that I can find also matrices of higher dimensions. The question is: what do these higher-dimension-matrices represent? Are they just mathematical stuff or have they got a physical meaning? I ask that because in every textbook and in every course I used only the 4x4 matrices...
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
eoghan said:
Hi! I was taught that the dirac matrices are AT LEAST 4x4 matrices, so that means that I can find also matrices of higher dimensions. The question is: what do these higher-dimension-matrices represent? Are they just mathematical stuff or have they got a physical meaning? I ask that because in every textbook and in every course I used only the 4x4 matrices...
Thanks

You can represent a matrix of any complexity you wish, but only experimentation can show if there is something physical about it. A string theorist might have an 11X11 matrix, but that does not prove 11 dimensions in reality I think. I don't know for sure, and I am new. I hope this is not presumptuous.

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of particles with spin 1/2, such as electrons. It was formulated by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. What are Dirac matrices?

Dirac matrices are mathematical objects used in the Dirac equation to represent the spin of particles. There are four matrices, known as the gamma matrices, which are 4x4 matrices that satisfy specific algebraic relationships. They are essential for solving the Dirac equation and making predictions about the behavior of particles.

3. How is the Dirac equation different from the Schrodinger equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic extension of the Schrodinger equation, which is a non-relativistic wave equation. The Dirac equation takes into account the effects of special relativity on particles with spin, while the Schrodinger equation does not. It also predicts the existence of antiparticles, which the Schrodinger equation does not.

4. What is the significance of the negative energy solutions in the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation has both positive and negative energy solutions. The negative energy solutions were initially considered problematic, but they were later found to correspond to the existence of antiparticles. This discovery was a significant development in quantum field theory and led to the prediction and eventual discovery of the positron, the anti-particle of the electron.

5. How is the Dirac equation used in modern physics?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used in many areas of modern physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is essential for understanding the behavior of particles with spin, and its predictions have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. The Dirac equation also serves as the basis for the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the interactions of all known particles and forces.