Graduate Student: Career Advice, I hate experimental physics

In summary: I have been thinking about changing university, but that's a lot of work and a lot of time. I am currently a graduate student, have a MS in physics, and have passed my comprehensive exams. Most of my credits are done -- I only have my dissertation credits to do.In summary, the speaker is a graduate student with a MS in physics and has passed their comprehensive exams. They have realized they hate experimental physics and want to switch to computational or theoretical physics. They are concerned about wasting five years of their life and if there will be job opportunities in those fields after graduation. They are currently a GRA and have a good relationship with their advisor, but there is limited support for their desired research area at their current university. They are
compn
I am currently a graduate student, have a MS in physics, and have passed my comprehensive exams. Most of my credits are done -- I only have my dissertation credits to do. So far all my work has been in experimental physics, in the region of plasma physics.

I have recently realized that I hate experimental physics. Plasma physics is great, but I hate the experimental aspect.

I hate not having time to think. I hate having to work crazy hours because I have only a few weeks to perform the experiment. I absolutely loath it.

I would like to try my hand in computational physics, or theoretical physics, since I will have a chance to think (unlike experimental physics when everything better be done in a hurry), and hopefully not be required to work absolutely ridiculous hours. Plus I get to do physics, as opposed to working in a laboratory trying to get equipment to work. My question are a follows:

1) I am so close to graduating, how can I do this so that I don't waste 5 years of my life?

2) Suppose I just tough it out and graduate (and hate life in the process)-- with my limited experience in computational/theoretical plasma physics is there a place that would actually hire me as a postdoc to work in the computational/theoretical aspect?

Physics news on Phys.org
compn said:
I am currently a graduate student, have a MS in physics, and have passed my comprehensive exams. Most of my credits are done -- I only have my dissertation credits to do. So far all my work has been in experimental physics, in the region of plasma physics.

I have recently realized that I hate experimental physics. Plasma physics is great, but I hate the experimental aspect.

I hate not having time to think. I hate having to work crazy hours because I have only a few weeks to perform the experiment. I absolutely loath it.

I would like to try my hand in computational physics, or theoretical physics, since I will have a chance to think (unlike experimental physics when everything better be done in a hurry), and hopefully not be required to work absolutely ridiculous hours. Plus I get to do physics, as opposed to working in a laboratory trying to get equipment to work. My question are a follows:

1) I am so close to graduating, how can I do this so that I don't waste 5 years of my life?

2) Suppose I just tough it out and graduate (and hate life in the process)-- with my limited experience in computational/theoretical plasma physics is there a place that would actually hire me as a postdoc to work in the computational/theoretical aspect?

There are many aspects of this that you've left out. What has been your interaction with your Advisor, who literally controls your future? You have given no indication if you receive a RA that supported your work up to now. This angle and this info should factor in into your decision to switch and HOW to switch so that you don't offend someone in particular. It is never a good idea to burn your bridges this early in your journey.

Furthermore, you simply can't jump into any old field of study that you like when you're already in a graduate program at a particular school. There has to be a faculty member who is willing to take you on and approve your like of research. You have no given any indication that (i) such a person exists and (ii) he/she is willing to be your Advisor. Does this person has a financial means to support your work, or do you have to support yourself as a TA while doing your dessertation research?

There are so many things to consider here that are beyond simply the "physics" issues.

Zz.

I am currently a GRA. My Advisor and I get along fine, and I have asked him before about switching. Unfortunately, most of the theoretical support has left over the years, so a person for me to work under simply doesn't exist.

1. What career options are available for graduate students in experimental physics?

As a graduate student in experimental physics, you have a variety of career options available to you. Some common paths include working in research and development, teaching and academia, or pursuing a career in industry. You can also explore opportunities in science communication, data analysis, or consulting.

2. How can I improve my job prospects as a graduate student in experimental physics?

To improve your job prospects, it is important to gain hands-on experience in experimental physics through internships, research projects, or collaborations with other scientists. Networking and building connections in the field can also be beneficial. Additionally, developing strong communication and problem-solving skills can make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers.

3. What steps can I take if I am struggling with my graduate studies in experimental physics?

If you are struggling with your graduate studies in experimental physics, it is important to communicate with your advisor or mentor. They can provide guidance and support, and may also be able to connect you with resources such as tutoring or study groups. It is also important to prioritize self-care and seek help if you are experiencing mental health issues.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that are particularly valuable for graduate students in experimental physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, skills such as programming, data analysis, and experimental design are highly valuable for graduate students in experimental physics. Familiarity with laboratory equipment and techniques, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively, are also important for success in this field.

5. How can I balance my graduate studies in experimental physics with other commitments?

Balancing graduate studies with other commitments, such as family or work, can be challenging. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This may involve setting aside dedicated study time, taking breaks when needed, and learning to say no to additional commitments. Communicating with your advisor and setting realistic expectations for yourself can also help to manage your workload.