Finishing CS degree: How do I *not* get a desk job

In summary: These fields have a high demand for individuals with computer science skills and offer opportunities for variety and advancement. Additionally, cybersecurity is a growing field that may interest you. In summary, if you are looking to avoid a career solely focused on coding, options such as research, federal law enforcement, and cybersecurity may be worth considering.
Jolteon
Hello everyone,

I'm currently finishing up a BS in computer science, and will most likely stay an extra year to get an MS. My school is heavy on software engineering, and after all of this, I really don't want to spend my life behind a desk writing thousands of lines of code. How can I avoid that if I just get a BS? An MS? Should I be pursuing another type of graduate school? Thank you for any suggestions.

-Jolteon

Physics news on Phys.org
You have already chosen your field. Do you have some talent in designing programs such that others can slave away implementing your ideas? If not, you might be grinding out code for low bucks. After all, there are tons of Indians willing to do that for less money than many programmers in the western world make.

I wrote custom application programs in the late 1980s. The value was not in the time I spent coding (though I charged for that) but in the time I spent understanding the needs of my clients and designing my programs to best address those needs.

Good luck!

turbo-1 said:
You have already chosen your field. Do you have some talent in designing programs such that others can slave away implementing your ideas? If not, you might be grinding out code for low bucks. After all, there are tons of Indians willing to do that for less money than many programmers in the western world make.

I wrote custom application programs in the late 1980s. The value was not in the time I spent coding (though I charged for that) but in the time I spent understanding the needs of my clients and designing my programs to best address those needs.

Good luck!

Yes, I would say that I am quite talented in my work compared to those around me. I'm really looking for the best way to implement that though, without being a code monkey, which is why I want to know about my different degree options (MS in CS, just a BS in CS, MBA, MS in another field) that will keep me away from a screen all day. If it matters, I will also be completing a minor in chemistry, but so will all the pre-med biology kids.

If anyone else has some insight on this that would be great too!

Thanks!

Well, I can offer my opinion on the matter, but seeing as I'm not in the same position as you ( I am just starting a degree in computer science ) I'm not sure how useful/helpful it will be. If you wish to do something in the field of Computer Science, without being a "code monkey" I would have said research is the one way to go, so MS, PhD, that sort of thing.

It really depends what you find most enjoyable about Computer Science and what you want at the end of your degree ( academia or industry ), are you interested in compiler optimisation or real-time systems, etc. If your school ( or another one if your current one is too software-writing oriented ) actively researches the topics you find interesting then find out more about by talking to the people involved.

I'm considering going to down the road of research myself, I'm not sure if there will be very much money/jobs in programming when my time comes if what turbo-1 said is true.

I hope this helps.

You could always look into federal law enforcement, intelligence, and defense careers.

1. How can I use my CS degree to avoid a desk job?

There are many ways to use your CS degree to avoid a desk job. One option is to pursue a career in research and development, where you can work in a lab or field setting. Another option is to become a consultant or freelancer, offering your services and expertise to various companies and organizations. You could also consider starting your own business or pursuing a career in teaching or academia.

2. What skills should I focus on developing to avoid a desk job with a CS degree?

To avoid a desk job with a CS degree, it is important to develop a diverse set of skills. This could include programming languages, software development, project management, data analysis, and communication skills. It is also beneficial to gain experience in different industries and work environments, as this will make you more adaptable and marketable.

3. Are there specific industries or companies that offer non-desk job opportunities for CS graduates?

Yes, there are many industries and companies that offer non-desk job opportunities for CS graduates. Some examples include healthcare, agriculture, environmental science, and government agencies. Look for companies that prioritize innovation and technology in their operations, as they are more likely to have positions that allow for a non-desk job.

4. How important is networking in finding non-desk job opportunities with a CS degree?

Networking is crucial in finding non-desk job opportunities with a CS degree. Many non-desk jobs are not advertised publicly, so building relationships and connections within your field can lead to valuable job opportunities. Attend conferences, join professional organizations, and connect with alumni to expand your network and increase your chances of finding a non-desk job.

5. Can I still use my CS degree in a non-desk job if I have already accepted a desk job?

Yes, you can still use your CS degree in a non-desk job even if you have already accepted a desk job. You can always continue to develop your skills and seek out opportunities in your desired field. You could also consider transitioning to a non-desk job within the same company or industry, or even pursuing a side project or hobby that allows you to utilize your CS degree in a non-desk job setting.