Optimizing Antenna Efficiency: Matching Frequency and Waveform

In summary, the conversation discusses the major components of an antenna and clarifies the concept of odd integer harmonics in a square wave. The discussion also touches upon the efficiency of a dipole antenna and how the frequency output of the generator should match the resonance frequency of the dipole for efficient radiation. The duration of the impulse is also mentioned to be independent of the waveform.
Mica
Hi,

I want to clarify some notiona in an antenna. The major components of an antenna are a generator, transmission line and an antenna (dipole). Let's say the whole system has a perfect matche, i.e. the dipole is about 70 ohms as the transmission line. If my generator ,the output voltage, is an impulse which has a duration in a micro second ( let's say 1 micro sec). So, the frequency of this generator is 1 Mhz? If the impluse is a square, the main fundamental frequency is 1 MHz and also , with others harmonics, I means if I do the Fourier Transformation am I right?

Thanks,

Mica

Engineering news on Phys.org
A square wave is composed of odd integer harmonics. The third, fifth, seventh, and higher order odd harmonics all have power in them.

- Warren

chroot said:
A square wave is composed of odd integer harmonics. The third, fifth, seventh, and higher order odd harmonics all have power in them.

- Warren
How can I determined these odd integer harmonics ? and if is another wave form ? And the calculation of the power of these harmonics ?

Thanks,

Mica

Last edited:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierSeriesSquareWave.html

Look at equation 6.

The third harmonic has a frequency three times that of fundamental, and has an amplitude one-third that of the fundamental. The fifth harmonic has a frequency five times that of the fundamental and an amplitude one-fifth that of the fundamental.

- Warren

Thanks for the information. So, for my dipole radited efficiently, I just match the right frequency output of the generator ? I mean like if my dipole resonances at 1 GHz so, my impluse (voltage source) duration will be 1/1 GHz ( 1 nano second) independent of the wave form?

Mica

1. What is an antenna and how does it work?

An antenna is an electrical device that is used to transmit or receive radio frequency signals. It works by converting electrical signals into electromagnetic waves and vice versa.

2. What is the purpose of a transmission line in an antenna system?

A transmission line is used to carry the electromagnetic waves from the antenna to the receiver or from the transmitter to the antenna. It helps to minimize signal loss and maintain the quality of the signal being transmitted or received.

3. What are the different types of transmission lines used in antenna systems?

There are various types of transmission lines, including coaxial cable, twisted pair, and waveguides. Each type has its own advantages and is used in different applications depending on factors such as frequency, power level, and distance.

4. How do I choose the right antenna and transmission line for my application?

The selection of an antenna and transmission line depends on several factors, including the frequency range, power requirements, and desired distance of transmission. It is important to consult with an expert or refer to technical specifications to ensure the best match for your specific application.

5. Can transmission lines affect the performance of an antenna?

Yes, the type and quality of the transmission line can affect the overall performance of an antenna system. Poorly matched or damaged transmission lines can introduce signal loss, interference, and other issues that can impact the antenna's performance. It is important to use high-quality transmission lines and regularly inspect and maintain them to ensure optimal performance.