Can wormholes make you travel faster then c

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of traveling through a wormhole and whether it would result in traveling faster than the speed of light and potentially creating time travel. There is no clear answer to this question, as it depends on the definition of velocity and the concept of an expanding universe. Wormholes are classified under general relativity and are not a naturally occurring phenomenon. The rules of where one would end up after traveling through a wormhole are still unknown.
mat1101
I am in grade 8 so please no gradute equations
I would like to know if going through a wormhole (and survied) would you have travel faster then the speed of light creating possible time travel

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

mat1101 said:
I am in grade 8 so please no gradute equations
I would like to know if going through a wormhole (and survied) would you have travel faster then the speed of light
There is no unambiguous way to answer this question. In relativity, you can only define velocity on small distance scales. For example, there is no well-defined way to say whether a distant galaxy has a certain speed relative to our galaxy. You can say it's moving away from us, but if you like you can also say that the space between us is just expanding.

If you go through the wormhole and observe your velocity relative to nearby objects that you're passing by (i.e., you confine yourself to small distance scales), then you will find that your velocity is always less than c. On the other hand, you can arrive at your destination earlier than a beam of light that got there without going through the wormhole.

A simple example is an expanding universe that is closed, i.e., that wraps around on itself in a circle. This is like a balloon being blown up. You can walk to school in the morning and get there much faster than a ray of light that was emitted from your house and wrapped around the universe before finally arriving at your school. Does that mean you went faster than light? Well, it depends on what you mean by faster than light.

mat1101 said:
creating possible time travel
Yes, any wormhole is definitely a potential time machine. There is a good discussion of this in the final chapter of this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393312763/?tag=pfamazon01-20 , which you can look at using Amazon's "look inside" feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wormhole is so theory that I guess if you travel into one, anything is possible.

thanks
also kind of a dumb question but can worm holes be classified under astro physics?

gtwace said:
Wormhole is so theory that I guess if you travel into one, anything is possible.
No, wormholes are described by general relativity.

mat1101 said:
thanks
also kind of a dumb question but can worm holes be classified under astro physics?
There aren't really sharply defined boundaries. Many astrophysicists use general relativity intensively, so they would have the skills needed to work on wormholes. But most astrophysicists are focused on describing and predicting naturally occurring phenomena, whereas there is not believed to be any natural process that could make a wormhole.

Wormhole is allowed by general relativity, but doesn't mean it is governed by it, cos there are other theories that allow wormholes. The rules of where you will end up after traveling through a wormhole is pretty open right now.

1. Can wormholes really make you travel faster than the speed of light?

According to current scientific understanding, wormholes are theoretical concepts that have not been proven to exist. Therefore, it is not possible to say for certain whether they can make us travel faster than the speed of light.

2. How do wormholes work?

Wormholes are hypothetical tunnels that connect two distant points in space-time. They are thought to be created by the warping of space-time by massive objects, such as black holes.

3. Would traveling through a wormhole be safe?

Again, since wormholes are currently only theoretical, it is impossible to say for sure. The intense gravitational forces within a wormhole could potentially be dangerous for any object or person traveling through it.

4. Could we use wormholes for interstellar travel?

This is a popular idea in science fiction, but it is not yet feasible with our current understanding of physics. Wormholes would require immense amounts of energy to create and stabilize, and we do not have the technology to harness such energy at this time.

5. Are wormholes the only way to travel faster than light?

Currently, there is no known way to travel faster than light. The concept of wormholes is one possible theoretical solution, but it is not the only one. Scientists are constantly exploring new ideas and theories in the quest for faster-than-light travel.