What is the Charge on a Capacitor in an RC Circuit?

In summary, an RC circuit with a 2.2 kOhm resistor and a 0.001 microF capacitor connected to a 10V source of emf for 5 x 10^-5 s results in a charge of 9.99 x 10^-9 C on the capacitor. This was calculated using the equation Q(t) = -ECe^(-t/RC) + EC, where E is the emf and C is the capacitance. Intermediate steps must be kept with at least 4 digits for 3 digit accuracy.
musiliu

Homework Statement

An RC circuit is made of a 2.2 kOhm resistor and a 0.001 microF capacitor.
The circuit is connected to a 10V source of emf for 5 x 10^-5 s. What is the
resulting charge on the capacitor after that?

Homework Equations

Q(t) = -ECe^(-t/RC) + EC , where E is the emf and C is the capacitance

The Attempt at a Solution

it seems like a simple plug-in problem, so I used E = 10V, C = 1 x 10^-9 F, R = 2200 Ohms, and t = 5 x 10^-5 s.

edit: oops.. i did the calculation wrong.. now i get:

Q = 2.27 x 10^-11 C

is this answer correct now and did i do the problem correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The method looks okay but I get a much larger answer, on the order of 10^-8. Did you get EC = 1 x 10^-8 ? RC = 2.2 x 10^-6?
The 5 x 10^-5 seconds is at least two time constants, so the first term should be just about zero.

ok.., i recalculated and now i get 1 x 10^-8 C... is this correct? is it exactly 1?

No, it isn't exactly 1. That would only be one digit accuracy. Likely you are expected to have 3 digit accuracy, meaning intermediate steps must keep at least 4 digits.

ok..., i used a graphing calculator now and i get

9.99 * 10^-9 C... is this correct?

Oops, you're right and I dropped a power of ten. Correct answer!

1. How does charging a RC circuit work?

When an RC circuit is connected to a power source, the capacitor in the circuit starts to charge. This is because the power source supplies a voltage, causing an electric field to form across the capacitor's plates. Electrons from the negative plate are attracted to the positive plate, charging the capacitor. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases until it reaches the same voltage as the power source. At this point, the capacitor is considered fully charged.

2. What is the time constant of a RC circuit?

The time constant of a RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in the circuit by the capacitance (C) of the capacitor. The time constant represents the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge to approximately 63.2% of its fully charged voltage.

3. How do you calculate the charging time of a RC circuit?

The charging time of a RC circuit can be calculated using the formula t = 5RC, where t is the charging time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula assumes that the capacitor is charged to 99.3% of its fully charged voltage.

4. Why does the charging time of a RC circuit decrease as the resistance decreases?

The charging time of a RC circuit is directly proportional to the resistance. This means that as the resistance decreases, the charging time decreases as well. This is because a lower resistance allows more current to flow through the circuit, leading to a faster charging of the capacitor. This is also why using a larger capacitor can increase the charging time, as it requires more charge to fully charge the capacitor.

5. What happens if the power source is disconnected before the capacitor is fully charged?

If the power source is disconnected before the capacitor is fully charged, the capacitor will retain some charge. This is because capacitors have the ability to store charge even when the power source is removed. The amount of charge left on the capacitor will depend on the charging time and the capacitance of the capacitor. It is important to discharge the capacitor before handling it to avoid any potential electric shocks.