Project may need transistor circuits

In summary: Thanks for the schematic, it was very helpful. I was wondering if it is possible to alternate the LEDs lighting up (currently, they light up simultaneously?) You can change the switch to toggle the LED on and off. You can calculate the power required (used and remaining) for a circuit such as this as follows: Vout1 (Q1 collector) = (LED current) * (R3+R4)/(R1+R2) For this circuit, R3 and R4 are 100 times R1 and R2, so Vout1 (Q1 collector) will be 1000*(23+40) = 2300 milliamps and the battery
ahe
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a project and part of this project may need transistor circuits in it. As I'm totally new to transistors and circuits I would greatly appreciate any help offered.

I was wondering if it is possible to program/create transistors to perform certain tasks. Specifically, would the transistor circuit be able to alternate signals (currents) to two objects (e.g.lights) at high speeds (1/10th a second switching times). Also, what is the expected lifespan of transistors and are they expensive?

Thanks for your contributions!

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org

You usually don't create or program transistors, you buy various kinds, arrange and wire them to perform certain tasks.
Transistor circuit are capable of doing most clever of things. Perhaps, also what you want.
1/10 th a second switching isn't considered a High speed in electronics. Rather it is a very slow speed.
Transistor are generally very reliable, if you don't push them to limits. Don't worry about their life span.
Their price highly depends upon their type. But, I am in the thought that, all the kinds you will probably need will be considered quite cheap.

ahe said:
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a project and part of this project may need transistor circuits in it. As I'm totally new to transistors and circuits I would greatly appreciate any help offered.

I was wondering if it is possible to program/create transistors to perform certain tasks. Specifically, would the transistor circuit be able to alternate signals (currents) to two objects (e.g.lights) at high speeds (1/10th a second switching times). Also, what is the expected lifespan of transistors and are they expensive?

Thanks for your contributions!

Cheers

I googled transistor circuits tutorial, and got lots of good hits. Here is the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?source...L_enUS301US302&q=transistor+circuits+tutorial

hey guys, thanks for the advice! :) that's helping me get my head around this!

Here in thumbnail is a two-transistor multi-vibrator circuit with two flashing LEDs. Each LED flashes about four times a second. The transistors cost less than $1.00 each at RadioShack or similar stores. This simulation is now running on a 3 volt battery. The LED simulation model is unrealistic, so the two 100-ohm resistors may have to be reduced, or the battery may have to be boosted up to 4.5 volts.

Bob S

Attachments

• Multivibrator2.jpg
    Multivibrator2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 387

Hey Bob,

Thanks for drawing up that schematic. I was wondering if it is possible to alternate the LEDs lighting up (currently, they light up simultaneously?)

Also, how can I calculate the power required (used and remaining) for a circuit such as this? For example it is shown that a 3V battery is used to light the LEDs but how can I calculate any voltage going out?

Cheers

Hi ahe-

You have some good questions.

1) Only one transistor is on at a time, so the two LEDs alternate back and forth..

2) You can calculate the current in each transistor as follows. In the waveform in the thumbnail, the voltage across the 100-ohm resistors is 2.4 volts - 0.1 volts = 2.3 volts when the transistor is ON. So 2.3 volts/100 ohms = 23 milliamps. So the power is .023 amps x 3 volts = 69 milliwatts.

3) By the way, an old 5-volt cell phone charger would be an excellent battery substitute. The waveform shown is the npn transistor collector. You can probably easily drive 1000 ohms to ground from it. If you want to drive a low impedance, use a voltage follower on Vout1 (Q1 collector).

4) The period of the waveform is about 0.25 seconds (4 Hz). This is determined by the two capacitors C1 and C2, and the two resistors R3 and R4. C1*R3 = 20uF x 10,000 ohms = 0.2 seconds. N the simulation, I changed C1 and C2 to 2nF, the battery to 5 volts (and C3 to 1nF), and the period went down to 25 microseconds (40 kHz). The rise and fall times are less than 1 microsecond.

5) The values of R3 and R4 should not be more than 100 times R1 and R2, due to the gain of the two transistors.

6) The transistors will last indefinitely. The capacitors will cost between $1.00 and $2.00 each. If possible, avoid electrolytics.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want me to try other values of resistors, capacitors, battery, etc.

Bob S

What is the purpose of using transistor circuits in a project?

Transistor circuits are used in projects to control the flow of electricity and to amplify or switch electronic signals. They are essential components in many electronic devices, allowing for precise and efficient control of electrical currents.

Do I need to have a background in electrical engineering to work with transistor circuits?

No, you do not need to have a background in electrical engineering to work with transistor circuits. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of electronics and circuitry to effectively incorporate transistors into your project.

How do I choose the right type of transistor for my project?

Choosing the right type of transistor for your project depends on various factors such as the desired function, power requirements, and voltage levels. It is important to consult a datasheet and seek guidance from experienced individuals to select the appropriate transistor for your specific application.

Can I use pre-made transistor circuits in my project?

Yes, pre-made transistor circuits can be used in projects as long as they meet the required specifications and are compatible with your project's other components. However, it is also possible to design and build your own transistor circuits for a more customized and efficient solution.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with transistor circuits?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with transistor circuits, as they involve working with electricity. This includes wearing protective gear, handling circuits with care, and ensuring proper insulation and grounding to prevent accidents or damage to the components.