Thermodynamics - closed system

In summary: Tf-273) = -40700 - 75.35 (Tf-373)So are you saying your original equation was769.12*(Tf-273) = -40700 + 75.35 (Tf-373)That is your mistake. It should be...769.12*(Tf-273) = -40700 - 75.35 (Tf-373)-40,700 J/mol is the heat released during condensation, so it should have a negative sign in the equation.
shahar weiss

Homework Statement

31.47mol of copper at 273 kelvin put inside an isolated cup along with 1 mol of water vapors at 373 Kelvin.
(pressure is constant at 1 atm).
ALL of the water condensed.
given parameters:
Cp(Cu(solid)) = 24.44 J/mol
Cp(H20(gas) = 33.58 J/mol
Cp(H20(liquid) = 73.35 J/mol
dHcondensation of water = -40,700J/mol.

a) find the final temperature of the system
b) what is the amount of heat transferred from copper to the water
c) find entropy change for water, copper and the whole system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here is what I am thinking.
This is isolated system so no heat is coming out.
the heat given from the water = the heat given from the condensation which is -40700J plus the heat given from cooling the water which is Q = Mass(water)*Cp(liquid)*(T(final) - 373K) = 75.35J/K (Tf - 373) Tf = final temperature.
Now the heat given from the copper (should be negative since the copper receive the heat from the water) is Q=Mass(copper)Cp(copper)*(Tf - 273) .
now since its isolated, the heat from the copper should be equal to the heat from the water but when summing it all up, i get that the final temperature is less than the starting temperature of the copper which is not possible ofcours.

thank you so much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there's a problem with the numbers in the problem. Suppose all the heat released during condensation goes into heating up the copper. What's the final temperature of the copper? Does that answer make sense?

The final temp of the copper should be higher than 273 k.
something is wrong with my sollution since i get lower than 273.
question is, where did i go wrong

Ignore my previous post. I made a dumb mistake in my calculations.

You just need to check your sign conventions.
shahar weiss said:
here is what I am thinking.
This is isolated system so no heat is coming out.
the heat given from the water = the heat given from the condensation which is -40700J plus the heat given from cooling the water which is Q = Mass(water)*Cp(liquid)*(T(final) - 373K) = 75.35J/K (Tf - 373) Tf = final temperature.
If 273 K < Tf < 373 K, you'll get a negative number for Q.
Now the heat given from the copper (should be negative since the copper receive the heat from the water) is Q=Mass(copper)Cp(copper)*(Tf - 273).
If 273 K < Tf < 373 K, you'll get a positive number for Q.
now since its isolated, the heat from the copper should be equal to the heat from the water but when summing it all up, i get that the final temperature is less than the starting temperature of the copper which is not possible of course.
When you put everything together, what was the equation you ended up with?

vela said:
I think there's a problem with the numbers in the problem.
The units are wrong. Specific heat should be in units of energy/mass/temperature. The numbers are correct assuming SI units of J/mol/K.

Suppose all the heat released during condensation goes into heating up the copper. What's the final temperature of the copper? Does that answer make sense?
The temperature rise in the copper due to just condensing the water vapor at 373 K to liquid at 373 K is surprisingly large. This is exactly why steam is so dangerous.

shahar weiss said:
but when summing it all up, i get that the final temperature is less than the starting temperature of the copper which is not possible ofcours.
You have a sign error somewhere. Please write down the mathematical equations you used rather than trying to explain it in English.

when i say the heat from the copper should be equal to the heat from the water i mean that in absolute value it equal but ofcours they have different signs since what is giving heat and one is gainning heat.
Q for water should be negative since they gave away heat.
Q for copper should be positive since copper gained heat

when i say the heat from the copper should be equal to the heat from the water i mean that in absolute value it equal but ofcours they have different signs since what is giving heat and one is gainning heat.
Q for water should be negative since they gave away heat.
Q for copper should be positive since copper gained heat

Right. So you should have ΔQwater+ΔQcopper=0.

D H said:
The units are wrong. Specific heat should be in units of energy/mass/temperature. The numbers are correct assuming SI units of J/mol/K.

The temperature rise in the copper due to just condensing the water vapor at 373 K to liquid at 373 K is surprisingly large. This is exactly why steam is so dangerous.

You have a sign error somewhere. Please write down the mathematical equations you used rather than trying to explain it in English.

It is not writted in the question but i assume Heat cap is per 1K.
here are math eqs.
For copper:
Q = M*cp*DeltaT = 31.47[mol]*24.44[J/mol*K] * (Tf-273) = 769.12*(Tf-273) (I)
For water
condensation
Q = -dH = -40700 J (II)
water cooling:
Q = m*cp*DeltaT = 75.35 (Tf-373) (III)

since isolated system : (I) = (II) + (III)
actually i get a pretty logic number for Tf if i put down plus sign in (II) instead of minus and maybe here is my mistake

shahar weiss said:
It is not writted in the question but i assume Heat cap is per 1K.
here are math eqs.
For copper:
Q = M*cp*DeltaT = 31.47[mol]*24.44[J/mol*K] * (Tf-273) = 769.12*(Tf-273) (I)
For water
condensation
Q = -dH = -40700 J (II)
water cooling:
Q = m*cp*DeltaT = 75.35 (Tf-373) (III)

since isolated system : (I) = (II) + (III)
actually i get a pretty logic number for Tf if i put down plus sign in (II) instead of minus and maybe here is my mistake
So are you saying your original equation was

769.12*(Tf-273) = -40700 + 75.35 (Tf-373)

That is your mistake. It should be (I)+(II)+(III)=0.

D H said:
That is your mistake. It should be (I)+(II)+(III)=0.
if i do I + II + III = 0 i do get a logic answer, approx 330 K.
i see my mistake now

Thank you very much D H and vela!

What is a closed system in thermodynamics?

A closed system in thermodynamics refers to a system that does not exchange matter with its surroundings, but can exchange energy in the form of heat or work.

What is the first law of thermodynamics for a closed system?

The first law of thermodynamics for a closed system states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This is also known as the law of conservation of energy.

What is the difference between an open and closed system in thermodynamics?

An open system can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system can only exchange energy. In other words, an open system has a flow of matter across its boundaries, while a closed system does not.

What is the significance of entropy in a closed system?

In a closed system, the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of the system and its surroundings will always increase over time. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system, and this law explains why systems tend towards equilibrium and maximum entropy.

Can a closed system ever reach absolute zero temperature?

No, a closed system cannot reach absolute zero temperature as it would require the complete removal of all energy from the system. According to the third law of thermodynamics, it is impossible to reach absolute zero through a finite number of steps.