MD vs PhD Workload: Comparing Time Commitments

• Programs
  • Thread starter torquemada
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: I think most people are grateful for the help that doctors provide, even if they don't always realize it.I work part-time in healthcare (as an EMT), and that expectation is not very realistic, IMO.In summary, the workload for a doctor is really intense and they often owe a lot of money from loans to pay for their education.
torquemada
Just wondering what the workload is like when you compare the two? As much as I like pure science, sometimes i figure if I'm doing all this schoolwork for a PhD why not just get an MD and make a ton of money instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you aren't interested in being a doctor or a scientist, you'll fail miserably at both. Don't be bloody lazy. If you like pure science, then the courseload will be fun for you, so what exactly is the problem?

torquemada said:
Just wondering what the workload is like when you compare the two? As much as I like pure science, sometimes i figure if I'm doing all this schoolwork for a PhD why not just get an MD and make a ton of money instead?

What makes you think MDs make (net) a lot of money? The cost of getting to the MD is quite high.

And do you have a passion for medicine? Do you enjoy patient contacts and helping people who need help? Do you have any experience or exposure to working in the health care field?

not in healthcare - but i hate customer service and whiny ppl

berkeman said:
What makes you think MDs make (net) a lot of money? The cost of getting to the MD is quite high.

Don't doctors do really well?

torquemada said:
Don't doctors do really well?

I think in the long term, most do okay. In the short term, I think many are in substantial debt from loans to pay for their education. There have been some threads discussing this... I'll see if I can find the discussions...

torquemada said:
not in healthcare - but i hate customer service and whiny ppl

And you don't think you'll be dealing with some whiny people as a doctor? I work part-time in healthcare (as an EMT), and that expectation is not very realistic, IMO.

What is the difference in time commitment between MD and PhD programs?

The time commitment for MD and PhD programs can vary significantly. In general, an MD program takes 4 years to complete, while a PhD program takes 5-6 years. However, the workload for MD programs is typically heavier, with more hours spent in class and clinical rotations, while PhD students may have more flexibility in their schedule.

Do MD and PhD students have different coursework requirements?

Yes, MD and PhD students have different coursework requirements. MD students typically have a set curriculum that covers a wide range of medical topics, while PhD students have more specialized coursework related to their specific research area.

How much time do MD and PhD students spend on research?

The amount of time spent on research varies for MD and PhD students. MD students are typically required to complete a research project or thesis during their program, which may take up a significant amount of time. PhD students, on the other hand, spend the majority of their time conducting research and may have less required coursework.

Are MD and PhD students expected to work on weekends and holidays?

Both MD and PhD students may have to work on weekends and holidays, but the expectations may differ. MD students may have to attend clinical rotations or complete assignments during these times, while PhD students may have more flexibility in their schedule and be able to choose when to work on their research.

How does the workload change after completing an MD or PhD program?

The workload may change significantly after completing an MD or PhD program. MD students move on to residency programs, where they will have more hands-on experience and patient care responsibilities. PhD students may continue on to postdoctoral research positions or academic positions, where they will have more independence and responsibilities in their research projects.