Bernoulli's Principle: Venturi Pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bernoulli's equation to determine the speed of air in a Horizontal Venturi pipe. The equation is applied to find the pressure difference between two points in the pipe, and the difference in height of a U-shaped tube is also taken into account. The final calculation for V_2 is debated and multiple solutions are proposed.
sirclash
1. Where did i go wrong, please explain.
Homework Statement

The Horizontal Venturi pipe has a cross sectional area of 50cm^2 at the wider portions(A_1) and 25cm^2 at the constriction(A_2). Air density of 1.29 kg/(m^3) is flowing in the pipe.
Theres a attachment of a picture to reference.
A)Write down Bernoulli's equation for the streamline of the wider part to the streamline of the constricted part.
B)Derive an expression for the speed of the air, V_2 (Constricted), in terms of the cross sectional area A_1 and A_2, The pressure difference (P_1 - P_2), and the density of air (roh).
C) The difference in height, h, of the columns in the U-shaped tube is 15 cm. Find the pressure difference given the density of mercury is 13600 kg/(m^3)
D) Calculate V_2

Homework Equations

P_1 + (roh*V_1^2)/2 + roh*g*y_1= P_2 + (roh*V_2^2)/2 + roh*g*y_2

The Attempt at a Solution

A) P_1 + (roh*V_1^2)/2 = P_2 + (roh*V_2^2)/2
B) I rearranged the the answer and used V_1=(A_2*V_2)/(A_1) to get,
V_2= (2(P_1 - P_2))/(roh(1-(A_2)/(A_1))^2) is this right??
C) P_1 - P_2 = (roh of mercury)*g*h i get P_1 - P_2 = 1999.2 pascals?
D) I got 1033.17 m/s and that can be right unless i just converted wrong.

Attachments

• venturi.gif
    venturi.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,517
Physics news on Phys.org
Just checking, did you convert the centimeter values to meters? That's the first thing to look at... if so, you'll have to give us more detailed calculations so we can see where you went wrong, because 1033.17 m/s is indeed an absurd answer.

Dunno man but for part B I get something different. See if it helps... What I get for part B is:

V_2 = (A_1*V_1)/A_2

Therefore V_2= SQRT of 2*A_1(P_1-P_2)/(Rho)(1-(A_1)^2)

Peace
Mat

1. What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics that states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure of the fluid decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy and is often used to explain the behavior of fluids in motion.

2. What is a Venturi pipe?

A Venturi pipe is a type of flow meter that utilizes Bernoulli's Principle to measure the flow rate of a fluid. It consists of a constricted section in the pipe, which causes the fluid to speed up and the pressure to decrease. This change in pressure can be measured and used to calculate the flow rate.

3. How does a Venturi pipe work?

A Venturi pipe works by creating a constriction in the pipe, which causes the fluid to accelerate and the pressure to decrease. This decrease in pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge and is related to the flow rate of the fluid according to Bernoulli's Principle.

4. What are the practical applications of Bernoulli's Principle and Venturi pipes?

Bernoulli's Principle and Venturi pipes have many practical applications, including measuring the flow rate of liquids and gases in pipes, monitoring air flow in HVAC systems, and controlling the flow of fluids in carburetors and fuel injectors in cars.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's Principle and Venturi pipes?

While Bernoulli's Principle and Venturi pipes are useful for many applications, they do have limitations. These principles assume that fluids are incompressible, inviscid, and have laminar flow. In reality, most fluids exhibit some level of compressibility, viscosity, and turbulent flow, which can affect the accuracy of measurements using these principles.