Is g(f) One-to-One if f is Not One-to-One? Prove It.

In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof for the statement that if f is not one-to-one, then g(f) is also not one-to-one. The conversation involves clarifying the definitions of one-to-one and not one-to-one, and ultimately concludes that g does not need to be not one-to-one in order to prove the statement. This can be shown by considering the composition of f and g, where if two different inputs give the same output, then it is not one-to-one.
major_maths
1. Assume that f : A -> B and g : B -> C and that f is not one
to one. Prove that g(f) is not one to one.

2. one-to-one: x1 != x2 and f(x1) != f(x2)
not one-to-one: f(x1)=f(x2) and x1 != x2

3. The start of the proof should go as follows:

Assume f: A->B, g: B -> C, f is not 1-1, g is 1-1.
Since f is not 1-1, there exists an x1 and an x2 in the dom(f) such that f(x1) = f(x2) and x1 != x2.
Since g is 1-1, for every x1 and x2 in dom(f), if x1 != x2 then g(x1) != g(x2).

And that's as far as I got. I'm not sure if I should assume g is 1-1 since that's not explicitly in the instructions, but I don't thing g(f) could be 1-1 if g wasn't 1-1. I tried plugging f(x1) into g but I couldn't find a logical way to get to the conclusion by doing that.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to assume anything about g, do you? If f(x1)=f(x2) then g(f(x1))=g(f(x2)), yes? What does that tell you about g(f)?

Last edited:
Oh. It tells me that g(f) is not one-to-one. But if that's the case, shouldn't f(x1) = f(x2)? I thought that that was the other part of the definition of not being one-to-one, that if the inputs are different then the outputs should be the same. And since f(x1) and f(x2) are the inputs in this case, shouldn't they be equal?

major_maths said:
Oh. It tells me that g(f) is not one-to-one. But if that's the case, shouldn't f(x1) = f(x2)? I thought that that was the other part of the definition of not being one-to-one, that if the inputs are different then the outputs should be the same. And since f(x1) and f(x2) are the inputs in this case, shouldn't they be equal?

I'm really not sure I understand that. Sure, g(f) is not one-to-one. But what 'other part of not being one-to-one' are talking about? If two different inputs give the same output then it's not one-to-one. There is no other part of NOT being one-to-one.

Like Dick said, you don't need g to be not 1-1 to obtain the solution. From the hypothesis, there exist x1 and x2 such that f(x1) = f(x2), where f(x1) and f(x2) are members of B. Since g maps B to C, then g is...

1. What does it mean for g(f) to not be one-to-one?

When we say that g(f) is not one-to-one, it means that there exist two distinct inputs for the function g(f) that produce the same output. In other words, the function g(f) is not injective.

2. How can I determine if g(f) is one-to-one?

To determine if g(f) is one-to-one, we can use the horizontal line test. Draw a horizontal line across the graph of the function g(f). If the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then g(f) is not one-to-one. If the line intersects the graph at only one point, then g(f) is one-to-one.

3. What is the importance of g(f) being one-to-one?

A one-to-one function is an important concept in mathematics and science because it ensures that each input has a unique output. This allows us to easily find the inverse function, which is essential in solving many problems in mathematics and science.

4. Can a function be one-to-one in one region and not in another?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be one-to-one in one region and not in another. This is because a function can have different properties in different regions. For example, a function may be one-to-one in the positive x-axis but not in the negative x-axis.

5. How can I prove that g(f) is not one-to-one?

To prove that g(f) is not one-to-one, we can use a counterexample. We can find two distinct inputs that produce the same output for the function g(f). We can also use algebraic methods, such as finding the inverse function and showing that it is not a function, to prove that g(f) is not one-to-one.