How many isomers does C4H9Br have?

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomers
In summary, the conversation discusses the structures and isomers of 2-bromobutane. There are five different structures mentioned, but only two of them are isomers. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using software to draw chemical formulas and suggests obtaining freeware programs like ChemSketch or Isıs-Draw.
nemzy
The book says 4, but isn't there 5?

1) CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-BR

2) CH3-CH2-CH-CH3
BR

3) CH3-CH-CH2-BR
CH3

4) CH3-CH2-CH-BR
CH3

CH3
5) CH3-C-CH3
BR

ugh..sorry i can't get the computer to place the atoms in the right place, but u guys get the picture

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think 2 and 4 are the same... Both can be read as 2-bromobutane, please look at them carefully, you'll see. I don't consider enantiomer formation, as there should be 2S-2-bromobutane and 2R-2-bromobutane, because they are not isomers, enantiomers, i.e., optical isomers.

About drawing formulae, I am not sure, but our moderator can show us how to arrange LateX to draw these formulae. It is possible, I know. If it isn't, it would be better for you to obtain some freeware chemical drawing software like ChemSketch or Isıs-Draw.

Last edited:
it have only two isomers

Thankyou!

THANKYOU!
:):approve::rofl::smile::!) your a real o:)
this was a lot of help!
:rofl:

What is the molecular formula for C4H9Br?

The molecular formula for C4H9Br is 4 carbon atoms, 9 hydrogen atoms, and 1 bromine atom.

What are isomers?

Isomers are molecules with the same molecular formula but different structural arrangements of atoms.

How do you determine the number of isomers for a given molecular formula?

To determine the number of isomers for a given molecular formula, you must first draw out all possible structural arrangements of the atoms. Then, you must identify if any of the arrangements are the same molecule in a different orientation. The number of unique arrangements is the number of isomers for that molecular formula.

How many isomers does C4H9Br have?

C4H9Br has a total of 4 isomers.

Can you list the 4 isomers of C4H9Br?

Yes, the 4 isomers of C4H9Br are 1-bromobutane, 2-bromobutane, 1-bromo-2-methylpropane, and 2-bromo-2-methylpropane.