What is the Best TeX\LaTeX Editor for Physics Forums?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Strontium90
  • Start date
In summary: I am going to look into LyX and TeXnicCenter. In summary, I am looking for an editor that is easy to use, has a good range of features, and is available on multiple platforms.
Strontium90
Hi, I am looking for a TeX\LaTeX editor, preferably a freeware or shareware version. I want to work on learning this scripting language for working in the Physics Forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many [tex] LaTeX [/tex] editors freely available. You can choose one based on the operating system you use and your personal favor.
LyX is somewhat user friendly and good for beginners. TeXworks, TeXmaker are also good editors. I use TeXNiC center in Windows environment.

emacs

FYI, it's not a scripting language, it's a document markup language.

Go for TeXniccenter, I use it all the time and it's real good!

I like Texmaker, as I can use the same interface across platforms. I'm about 50/50 Linux and Windows.

You don't mention which operating system or LaTeX distribution you're using. If you don't have one, and are on Windows, this will probably be MiKTeX, which comes with both TeXniccenter and TeXWork. If you're on Mac, this will probably be MacTeX (which comes with TeXWorks and TeXShop). Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you use if you use Linux.
http://miktex.org/
http://www.tug.org/mactex/

I use TeXWork, since it's available on both the platforms I use (I also share my files--currently my thesis--using Dropbox).

There you have it, five different posts, five different responses. Try them and see what you like best. That or, as n.karthick suggests, go with LyX and get a much easier learning curve (assuming you ever look behind the curtain--a friend of mine never has, and he's written a few papers and his thesis in LyX LaTeX!)

Linux uses TeXLive, which should come installed already; otherwise it should be in the distro's repo.

Hi everyone, my apologies for replying back so late. I am using Win XP for my OS for general work (at the moment). Thank all of you for the information.

1. What is the difference between TeX and LaTeX?

TeX is a typesetting language created by Donald Knuth, while LaTeX is a document preparation system built on top of TeX by Leslie Lamport. TeX is primarily used for creating complex mathematical formulas, while LaTeX is better for formatting entire documents.

2. What features should I look for in a TeX/LaTeX editor?

Some important features to consider are syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and a built-in PDF viewer. Other helpful features include a spell checker, code folding, and the ability to customize shortcuts and settings.

3. Is there a cost associated with using a TeX/LaTeX editor?

There are both free and paid options for TeX/LaTeX editors. Some popular free options include TeXworks, TeXstudio, and Overleaf. Paid options, such as TeXnicCenter and WinEdt, may offer additional features and support.

4. Can I use a TeX/LaTeX editor on any operating system?

Yes, there are TeX/LaTeX editors available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Some editors, such as TeXworks, are even cross-platform and can be used on multiple operating systems.

5. Are there any online resources or communities for TeX/LaTeX users?

Yes, there are many online resources and communities for TeX/LaTeX users. Some popular ones include the TeX Stack Exchange, the TeX Users Group, and the LaTeX subreddit. These resources can provide helpful tips, troubleshooting advice, and support for using TeX/LaTeX editors.