Minimum Speed and Coefficient of Friction for a Car on a Circular Race Track

In summary, we discussed a problem involving a car traveling on a circular race track with a lateral acceleration of 1.2g and a radius of 340m. We determined that the minimum speed for the car to not roll over is 64.17 m/s and the minimum coefficient of friction needed between the tires and the roadway is 1.24.
Wi3rdtami
I got a problem: let's say a car traveling around a circular race track of radius 340m. The lateral acceleration of the car is 1.2g. The roadway of the track is level, not banked. What is the mininum speed at which the car can travel on the track without rolling over? What is the minimum coefficient of friction needed between the tires and the roadway so the car will not slide out. I tried my best was unable to solved this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly did you try?

Well, I know how to solve it now.

First I found the max speed

A=V^2/r where v will equal 64.17 m/s

Change the units into mi/hr which would be 141.48 then plug it
Into mg= ma and get 1.24 as the coefficient of friction

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless number that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no friction and 1 indicating maximum friction.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

What are the different types of coefficient of friction?

The two types of coefficient of friction are static and kinetic. Static friction is the resistance between two surfaces at rest, while kinetic friction is the resistance between two surfaces in motion.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is also essential in designing and developing products that require specific amounts of friction for proper functioning.