Parallel Axis Thereom to find angular velocity

In summary, we are given a meter stick that is freely pivoted at the 94.7 cm mark and asked to find the angular frequency of small oscillations. Using the torque equation and assuming small angles, we can rewrite it as a common differential equation for simple harmonic motion. The period and angular frequency can then be found from this equation.
Sepamo

Homework Statement

A meter stick is freely pivoted about a horizontal axis at the 94.7 cm mark. Find the (angular) frequency of small oscillations, in rad/s

Homework Equations

I=Icm+md^2
[itex]\Sigma[/itex] [itex]\tau[/itex]=I [itex]\alpha[/itex]
mg*sin([itex]\Theta[/itex])=-I(d^2[itex]\Theta[/itex]/dt^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

5.37 rad/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The torque equation you wrote should be: -mgd*sin[itex]\theta[/itex]=Id^2[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt^2
(you forgot the 'd' on the left-side.)

For small angles, sin[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\approx[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex]

The torque equation can then be rewritten as:

-(mgd*[itex]\theta[/itex])/I=d^2[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt^2

This is a common differential equation that arises in physics, and it describes a type of oscillatory motion known as "simple harmonic motion".

The period is:

T=2[itex]\pi[/itex]*[itex]\sqrt{I/mgd}[/itex]

The angular frequency can be easily found from here.

1. What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is a principle in physics that states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body rotating about an axis is equal to the sum of the moment of inertia of the body when it is parallel to the axis and the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two parallel axes.

2. How is the Parallel Axis Theorem used to find angular velocity?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is used to find angular velocity by first calculating the moment of inertia of a rigid body about a parallel axis. This can be done by using the formula I = Icm + md2, where Icm is the moment of inertia of the body about its center of mass, m is the mass of the body, and d is the distance between the two parallel axes. Once the moment of inertia is calculated, angular velocity can be found using the equation ω = √(τ/I), where τ is the torque acting on the body.

3. What is the significance of the Parallel Axis Theorem in physics?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is significant in physics because it allows for the calculation of the moment of inertia of a rigid body about an axis that is not passing through its center of mass. This is useful in many applications, such as determining the stability of a rotating object or calculating the energy required to rotate a body.

4. How does the Parallel Axis Theorem relate to the concept of rotational inertia?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is directly related to the concept of rotational inertia, as it is used to calculate the moment of inertia of a rigid body about a parallel axis. Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, and the Parallel Axis Theorem provides a way to calculate this quantity for objects with non-uniform mass distributions.

5. Can the Parallel Axis Theorem be applied to all types of rigid bodies?

Yes, the Parallel Axis Theorem can be applied to all types of rigid bodies, as long as they have a defined mass and a known distance between the two parallel axes. It is a general principle that can be used in various applications, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, to find the moment of inertia and angular velocity of rotating objects.