Measuring Charge Of An Aerosol

In summary, Alex is looking for a portable and easy-to-use method to measure the electrical charge of a sodium chloride aerosol. He has seen Faraday cup used for this purpose, but is hoping for a more convenient option. He also needs to prove that the aerosol is in electrical equilibrium with a Boltzmann distribution. One suggestion is to use the oil drop experiment method, where the particles are allowed to drift into a chamber and then an electrostatic force is applied to counter gravity. The strength of the electric field needed will depend on the charge to mass ratio of the particle.
sfpservices
Hi,
I was wondering how I would go about measuring the electrical charge of an aerosol (A sodium chloride aerosol generated using a compressed air type nebulizer and dried using compressed at approximately 100 l/min flow) I have seen Faraday cup used for such measurement but was hoping for something portable and easy to use. Also how would I go about proving that it is in electrical equilibrium (The spec I have been given states that the aerosol needs to be neutralised to an electrical equilibirum with a Boltzmann distribution).
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have much experience, but this sounds similar to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_drop_experiment" : let the aerosol particles drift into a chamber, than apply an electrostatic force against gravity using charged plates until the forces cancel and the particle sits stationary. The higher the charge to mass ratio of the particle, the smaller electric field you need to counter gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an aerosol?

An aerosol is a suspension of tiny solid or liquid particles in a gas. Common examples of aerosols include smoke, fog, and air pollution.

2. How is the charge of an aerosol measured?

The charge of an aerosol can be measured using a technique called electrophoresis. This involves applying an electric field to the aerosol particles and measuring their movement in response to the field.

3. Why is it important to measure the charge of an aerosol?

The charge of an aerosol can affect its behavior and interactions with other particles and surfaces. Understanding the charge of an aerosol is important for studying atmospheric processes, air pollution, and the potential health effects of aerosols.

4. What factors can affect the charge of an aerosol?

The charge of an aerosol can be affected by various factors such as the composition and size of the particles, the surrounding environment (e.g. humidity, temperature), and the presence of other charged particles.

5. Can the charge of an aerosol be manipulated?

Yes, the charge of an aerosol can be manipulated by changing the surrounding conditions or by using external forces such as electric fields or ionizing radiation. This can be useful for studying aerosol behavior or for practical applications such as controlling air pollution.