MIxed and reflected color frequencies.

In summary: The reflection is irrelevant actually. If you send the two beams directly to the eye, you will see green too.
Edi
When I shine two different lights at a single spot on a white screen, say, yellow and blue, they both hit the spot and get reflected all mixed up and I see green. Thats all fine, but what is the actual structure of that reflected, in this case, green light? Is it a ordinary green photon with its corresponding frequency? (say, 510nm )or is it the same blue and yellow photons, but our eyes just detect both at the same time, from the same spot, and interpret it as green?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi.

Edi said:
When I shine two different lights at a single spot on a white screen, say, yellow and blue, they both hit the spot and get reflected all mixed up and I see green. Thats all fine,

We would not perceive green light in combination of blue and yellow light though I do not know what color we perceive of it.

Instead, three fundamental color of paint are Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Cyan absorbs Red light. Yellow absorbs Blue light. So mixed paint of Cyan and Yellow absorbs Red and Blue lights, thus Green light, which consists three fundamental light color with Blue and Red, mainly remains in the reflected light. It consists actually of green photon. Regards

Last edited:
Edi said:
When I shine two different lights at a single spot on a white screen, say, yellow and blue, they both hit the spot and get reflected all mixed up and I see green. Thats all fine, but what is the actual structure of that reflected, in this case, green light? Is it a ordinary green photon with its corresponding frequency? (say, 510nm )or is it the same blue and yellow photons, but our eyes just detect both at the same time, from the same spot, and interpret it as green?

The light reflected from the white screen contains the yellow and blue photons.
The normal reflection does not change the frequency of the photons.
The sensation of green is a physiologic effect due to simultaneous excitation of the receptors in the retina. The reflection is irrelevant actually. If you send the two beams directly to the eye you'll see green too.

The mechanism of the color vision was disused extensively in a thread some time ago.

So, with nothing but my natural sensors (eyes), I cannot know if I am looking at a green color (or any other color) or a combination of two or several..

if we paint rainbow's color on a circle top and rotate it,wecan see color white. that means our eyes have a time limit to distinguish different colors.

Edi said:
So, with nothing but my natural sensors (eyes), I cannot know if I am looking at a green color (or any other color) or a combination of two or several..
Yes, this effect is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

nasu said:
The light reflected from the white screen contains the yellow and blue photons. The normal reflection does not change the frequency of the photons.
The sensation of green is a physiologic effect due to simultaneous excitation of the receptors in the retina. The reflection is irrelevant actually. If you send the two beams directly to the eye you'll see green too.

Is it true we see green color when blue photons and yellow photons are coming together into eye ?
As for paint mix of blue paint and yellow paint cause deletion of two complimentary colors and only almost green color can be reflected.
how about addition of blue photon and yellow photon?

Mix of various paint is black, however, mix of various photon is white.

Regards.

Last edited:
sweet springs said:
Hi.

Is it true we see green color when blue photons and yellow photons are coming together into eye ?
As for paint mix of blue paint and yellow paint cause deletion of two complimentary colors and only almost green color can be reflected.

Regards.
Blue paint reflects more blue photons and yellow paint reflects more yellow photons. A mixture of blue and yellow paint will reflect both blue and yellow light (unless there is some interaction between the pigments which will change their nature). For solid pigments (like oxides) you can still see individual grains (and their individual color) with a microscope whereas the overall sensation is that of the "mixture color". The yellow pigment does not "eliminate" the blue photons reflected by the blue pigment.

You can think it in terms of "eliminating the complementary color" but this is just an useful tool. The result is the same but the physics is not.

There is no "addition" of photons. Mixing beams of photons with various frequencies does not change the nature of the photons (in the usual conditions discussed here).

And yes, seeing some colors (physiologic response) can be due to excitation of retina by more than one combination of photons.

Delta Kilo said:
Yes, this effect is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamerism_(color)"

This is actually a good thing. It means our color printers do not need ink cartridges with 10 million different colored inks inside. Just three will do.

sweet springs said:

PS
See figures on additive and subtractive color mixing in Wiki Primary color. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary color

What are mixed and reflected color frequencies?

Mixed and reflected color frequencies refer to the wavelengths of light that are perceived by our eyes as different colors. When multiple wavelengths of light are combined or when light is reflected off of a surface, we perceive a specific color based on the frequencies present.

How do we perceive color?

Our eyes contain special cells called cones that respond to different wavelengths of light. These cones are responsible for color vision and when they are stimulated by specific frequencies of light, we perceive a particular color.

What is the difference between additive and subtractive color mixing?

Additive color mixing involves combining different colored lights to create new colors. For example, red, green, and blue lights can be combined to create white light. Subtractive color mixing, on the other hand, involves mixing pigments or dyes to create new colors. When pigments or dyes are mixed, the resulting color is determined by the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or reflected.

Why do we see different colors when light is reflected off of an object?

The color of an object that we see is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected off of its surface. For example, a red apple appears red because it reflects mostly red light while absorbing other wavelengths. The color of an object can also be affected by the color of the light that is shining on it.

How do color frequencies affect our perception of color?

Color frequencies determine the specific color that we perceive. Different frequencies correspond to different colors on the visible light spectrum. For example, low frequencies correspond to red and high frequencies correspond to violet. Our perception of color is also affected by the intensity or brightness of the frequencies present.