Why does the proton have no excited states?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of excited states of the proton and the decay modes of the Delta baryon. The ratio of Delta-->pi0 n/Delta-->pi- p is determined to be 2:1 and there are many other excited states of the proton besides the Delta. These states decay primarily into pions and a proton or neutron, with a small branching ratio into photon and nucleon.
petergreat
I've never heard of any excited states of the proton. Why?
By "excited state" I mean something with the same composition (uud) that decays to the proton (plus photons etc.) with nearly 100% branching ratio.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! One question, though. Does the [itex]\Delta^+[/itex] decay to [itex]p\pi^0[/itex] or to [itex]n\pi^+[/itex] more often? According to Wikipedia on Delta baryons both decay modes exist.

In order to answer that question, I'd go to the Particle Data Group and search through the baryon tables, but you might as well do it yourself. :wink:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/

I actually check PDG before I posted the previous reply, but I got lost...
I went to Particle Properties -> Baryons, and found a list of reviews. I admit I often don't understand the terminology, but none of them seems to have any information on Delta+ branching ratios.

That's because the decays are given by Clebsch-Gordon coefficients and the assumption is anyone can calculate them.

Neutrons decay into protons [plus electons and electron antineutrinos].

petergreat said:
Thanks! One question, though. Does the [itex]\Delta^+[/itex] decay to [itex]p\pi^0[/itex] or to [itex]n\pi^+[/itex] more often? According to Wikipedia on Delta baryons both decay modes exist.
The ratio of Delta-->pi0 n/Delta-->pi- p is determined by isospin to be 2:1.

Thereare a large number of excited states of the proton besides the Delta.
All the states called N* or Delta can be considered excited states of the proton.
They decay mainly into pions and a proton or neutron.
There is a small branching ratio into photon and nucleon.

1. Why is the proton considered to have no excited states?

The proton is considered to have no excited states because it is a fundamental particle, meaning it is not made up of any smaller particles. Therefore, it does not have the ability to absorb or emit energy and transition to a higher energy state like other particles, such as electrons, can.

2. How do scientists know that the proton has no excited states?

Scientists have studied the behavior of protons in various experiments and have not found any evidence of them exhibiting excited states. Additionally, theoretical models of the proton's structure also support the idea that it has no excited states.

3. Can protons ever be in a higher energy state?

No, protons cannot be in a higher energy state because they do not have the necessary energy levels or subatomic particles to undergo energy transitions. However, in extreme conditions such as high-energy particle collisions, protons can briefly appear as excited states before quickly returning to their ground state.

4. Do all particles have excited states like protons?

No, not all particles have excited states. Only particles that have energy levels and can absorb or emit energy can have excited states. Therefore, fundamental particles like protons, neutrons, and electrons do not have excited states, while composite particles like atoms and molecules do.

5. How does the absence of excited states in protons affect our understanding of the atomic structure?

The absence of excited states in protons does not significantly affect our current understanding of atomic structure. Protons still play an essential role in determining the atomic number and chemical properties of an element, and their lack of excited states does not change this. However, it does highlight the unique nature of fundamental particles and their behavior compared to composite particles.