Phase distortion near nyquist frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for obtaining the transfer function of an 8th order low-pass butterworth filter. Both methods result in the same phase response except near the Nyquist frequency, where there are spreaded points. The situation worsens with increasing filter order and the first method has less distortion. The distortion occurs in the stop band where the gain is around 1e-15, but the reason for this is unknown and deemed unimportant.
truva
Hello all,

I obtained transfer function of a 8th order low-pass butterworth filter by bilinear transformation with frequency prewarping. When I plot the phase response of the filter for a given interval of frequency there are spreaded points near Nyquist frequency. (I used unwrap.m before plotting). What is the reason of this?

I also followed a different path: First defined an impulse (delta) function in the time domain and filtered it. And I used fft to obtain the transfer function. (I took into consideration the time shift effect)

The two methods gave the same phase response except at near the Nyquist frequency. Both of them included some spreaded points near Nyquist frequency. Can you tell me what is this?

I should add that the situation gets worst with the increasing order of the filter. And first method has lesser distorsion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When I use high-pass filter same thing happened at near zero frequency not at Nyquist frequency. Hence in both cases distortion is in stop band where the gain is about 1e-15. Therefore I can say that it is not a problem.

But I don't know the reason. May be it is beause of bilinear approximation or fft is making all the mess. I don't know but it is not important any more as I said.

1. What is phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency?

Phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency refers to a phenomenon in which the phase response of a signal is altered as it approaches the Nyquist frequency, which is half the sampling frequency. This can result in a distortion of the signal's shape and affect its overall quality.

2. How does phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency occur?

Phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency occurs due to the limitations of digital sampling. The sampling process can only accurately represent frequencies up to the Nyquist frequency, and any higher frequencies are reflected back and can cause phase shifts in the signal.

3. What are the effects of phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency?

The effects of phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency can vary depending on the signal and its intended use. In some cases, it may cause subtle changes in the sound quality, while in others it can result in significant distortion and affect the intelligibility of the signal.

4. How can phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency be minimized?

There are various techniques that can be used to minimize phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency. These include using anti-aliasing filters to remove high-frequency components before sampling, increasing the sampling frequency, or using oversampling techniques.

5. Is phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency always a bad thing?

No, phase distortion near the Nyquist frequency is not always a bad thing. In some cases, it can be intentionally used as an effect in audio processing. However, it is generally undesirable in most applications as it can negatively impact the accuracy and quality of the signal.