Work input/output in adiabatic process

In summary: Additionally, the work input would be the negative of the work output, so W_in = -W_out.In summary, to find the max cycle pressure, max temp, work input and output for an engine, you will need to use the equations PV^1.4 = const and PV/T = const. You should also use the first law of thermodynamics and the equation W = ΔU, where ΔU = CvΔT, to calculate the work input/output. The specific heat ratio (n) and specific heat at constant volume (Cv) values will be needed in these calculations.
JJJabc
I have to find the max cycle pressure, max temp, work input and output for an engine.

I have been given the initial air pressure, temp and the volume of the cylinder.

Fuel is added at 2.5MJ/kg

For the air i have Cv, the index (1.4) and an R value of 287 J/kg K (not sure about this value)

I calculated the max pressure using PV^1.4 = const.
For max temp i used PV/T = const.

1) Not sure if I have used the correct method for calculating the pressure and temp

2)Not sure how to calculate the Work input/output. Is the W=PV equation correct?Would this equation work W=(P2*V2 - P1*V1)/n(1.4)-1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
? Where n is the index and 1.4 is the specific heat ratio.For calculating the work input/output, you would need to use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the work done by the engine is equal to the change in the internal energy of the system. The equation for this is W = ΔU. You could then calculate the change in internal energy using the equation ΔU = CvΔT, where Cv is the specific heat at constant volume.

1. What is work input/output in adiabatic process?

Work input/output in adiabatic process refers to the amount of energy transferred into or out of a system during an adiabatic (no heat transfer) process. This energy can be in the form of mechanical work, such as a piston moving in a cylinder, or electrical work, such as a battery supplying energy to a system.

2. How is work input/output related to temperature in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, work input/output is directly related to temperature. When work is done on a system, its temperature increases. Conversely, when work is done by a system, its temperature decreases. This is because work is a form of energy, and the change in temperature is a result of the change in the system's internal energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating work input/output in an adiabatic process?

The formula for calculating work input/output in an adiabatic process is W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the system. This formula assumes that the process is reversible and that the pressure remains constant.

4. How does work input/output affect the internal energy of a system in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, the internal energy of a system remains constant. This means that any work input or output does not result in a change in the system's internal energy. This is because there is no heat transfer, so the only way for the system to exchange energy is through work.

5. Can work input/output be negative in an adiabatic process?

Yes, work input/output can be negative in an adiabatic process. This occurs when work is done by the system, resulting in a decrease in its internal energy and a decrease in temperature. An example of this is a gas expanding and doing work on a piston, causing its temperature to decrease.