Understanding Orbital Mechanics & Elliptical Paths

In summary, the conversation discussed a video game where a player orbits an attractor, and a project involving spacecraft orbiting a planet or moon in an elliptical orbit. The speaker mentioned using the vis-viva equation and Kepler elements to model the orbit, and asked about recomputing orbital elements to show a new path. They also mentioned using numerical integration methods or instantaneous acceleration for this task. The conversation concluded with the suggestion to look up more information for a better understanding.
whiterook6
Hi. I was playing a video game where, in one level, you are in an orbit around an attractor. The game was 2D, so there's no inclination, etc. The game showed the projected path of the body around the attractor. When you used the games controls to thrust in a direction, it would show the projected path changing, to the point of turning red when you would eventually intersected the attractor.

I've been working on a project like this, where spacecraft orbit a planet or moon or something in an elliptical orbit. I can calculate the position along the orbit for any given time t, and can get the velocity from the vis-viva equation and the tangent to the ellipse at that point. To model the orbit I use a semi-major axis, eccentricity, mean anomaly at epoch, and argument of periapsis (I got a lot of this from wikipedia; many of the resources I've been pointed at have been over my head.)

If I apply an acceleration, I would expect the orbit to change. How can I recompute those orbital elements to show the new path?

Also, instead of using the Kepler elements, I could also just use the equations for an ellipse. Would those be easier for doing this sort of work?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

If you want to re-create the game idea you should look into numerical integration methods, e.g. leapfrog/euler:

For timestep n, use mass positions to calculate Force and then use that force to find particles new velocity and position
v(n+1/2) = v(n-1/2) + F*dt/m

x(n+1) = x(n) + v(n+1/2)*dt

where dt = timestep. Look it up for better explanation :-)

If you want to do it analyticaly, maybe a instantaneous acceleration to a new velocity vector and then re-calculate the orbit?

Hope it helps.

1. What is the difference between an orbit and an elliptical path?

An orbit refers to the path of an object around a larger body, such as a planet orbiting a star. An elliptical path, on the other hand, is a specific type of orbit that is shaped like an ellipse. Not all orbits are elliptical, but all elliptical paths are orbits.

2. How do objects maintain an elliptical orbit?

Objects maintain an elliptical orbit due to the force of gravity. The gravitational force between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them. In an elliptical orbit, the force of gravity is strongest at the closest point and weakest at the farthest point, causing the object to continuously move in an elliptical path.

3. What factors affect the shape of an elliptical orbit?

The shape of an elliptical orbit is primarily determined by the speed and distance of the orbiting object. A faster speed and closer distance to the central body will result in a more circular orbit, while a slower speed and farther distance will result in a more elongated orbit.

4. Can an object have a perfectly circular orbit?

Yes, an object can have a perfectly circular orbit. This occurs when the speed and distance of the orbiting object is just right so that the gravitational force is constant, resulting in a circular path. However, this is rare and most objects in orbit have elliptical paths.

5. How do orbital mechanics play a role in space exploration?

Understanding orbital mechanics is crucial in space exploration as it allows us to accurately predict and plan spacecraft trajectories. By understanding the forces and principles that govern orbital motion, we can launch and maneuver spacecraft to their desired destinations, such as other planets or moons within our solar system.