Multipole Expansion of Dipole on Z-Axis w/ Spherical Harmonics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the non-vanishing multipoles of a dipole on the z-axis using spherical harmonics. The charge density is written using delta functions in spherical polar coordinates, but there is uncertainty about how to deal with the form of ∅. It is determined that the charge distribution is azimuthally symmetric, and a point charge in spherical coordinates is given as an example.
shikhapunia
given a dipole on z-axis(+q at z=a and -q at z= -a) , find out the non vanishing multipoles using spherical harmonics.
can somebody tell me how to do this problem using spherical harmonics..because when we write charge density using dirac delta function in spherical polar coordinates. then we get
phi = tan^-1 (0/0) because x and y coordinates for both the charges are zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. I can't really tell what you're doing.

In spherical polar coordinates charge density can be written as Ʃqi*δ(r-ri)*δ(θ-θi)*δ(∅-∅i).
where ∅=tan^-1(y/x) . since its a dipole on z-axis therefore ∅'=tan^-1(0/0) . i don't know how to deal with this form of ∅.

You can pick an arbitrary angle since it doesn't matter anyway when ##\theta = 0\text{ or }\pi##.

does that mean its ∅ independent? i.e. it has azimuthal symmetry.

Yes, the charge distribution is azimuthally symmetric.

ok..thanks a lot

Generally a surface which is symmetric about z-axis is s.t.b azimuthally symmetric like a sphere as we can easily see its symmetric. How can a dipole along z-axis be azimuthally symmetric?

Does the dipole look different if you rotate the system about the z-axis?

ok..now its clear.
thankyou.

shikhapunia said:
In spherical polar coordinates charge density can be written as Ʃqi*δ(r-ri)*δ(θ-θi)*δ(∅-∅i).
where ∅=tan^-1(y/x) . since its a dipole on z-axis therefore ∅'=tan^-1(0/0) . i don't know how to deal with this form of ∅.

a point charge in spherical coordinates is given by [itex]\rho(r,\theta,\phi)=q\delta(r-r_q)\delta(\theta-\theta_q)\delta(\phi-\phi_q)/(r^2\sin\theta)[/itex]

oh! yeah..thanks

1. What is the multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis?

The multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis is a mathematical representation of the potential generated by a dipole located on the z-axis. It is expressed as a sum of terms, each representing a different order of multipole moment.

2. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that are used to describe the angular dependence of a function on a sphere. They are commonly used in physics and mathematics to describe the behavior of physical systems.

3. How is the multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis calculated?

The multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis is calculated using the theory of spherical harmonics. The potential is expressed as a sum of terms, each containing a spherical harmonic function multiplied by a coefficient known as a multipole moment.

4. What is the physical significance of the multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis?

The multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis is used to describe the potential generated by a dipole located on the z-axis. It is often used in electrostatics and electromagnetism to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does the multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis change with distance?

The multipole expansion of a dipole on the z-axis decreases in magnitude as the distance from the dipole increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.