Is global warming causing a drop in temperature or rising temperatures?

In summary, global warming is the process of increasing the average temperature of the Earth and its atmosphere. The greenhouse gases in the atmosphere trap more heat, and this heat is transferred to the Earth's surface.
Moneer81
I read somewhere that one of the dangerous consequences of global warming is another ice age, kinda like what we saw in the movie "The day after tomorrow" . My friend was arguing with somebody about whether global warming will cause a drop in temperature or instead rising temperatures. When I told her what I know she asked me "what is it called warming ? "

anyone can offer a brief explanation of global warming and temperature rising/decline ?

thanks

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Do you want to know about global warming's causes or effects?

I would like to learn more about its effects.

Temperature decline has been suggested as one possible effect current climate trends could have on the northern Atlantic. To put it simply: Currently the region is kept warm by an ocean current known as the north atlantic drift that moves warm tropical water from equatorial regions up to europe and the north Atlantic. Evidence suggests that if the amount of fresh water entering the north Atlantic from the Greenland ice sheet and Siberian river systems were to increase due to global warming, this would disrupt the current and drastically lower the region's temperature.

that makes sense...thanks matthyaouw

global warming the enchanced of greenhouse effect.Most of the reasons is excess greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide.they are good at absorbing longwave radiation (heat) and weak in solar radiation. The sun heats up the ground , the ground emits heat as a longwave radiation. So the temperature of The Earth rises.
And "global cooling "because the ocean current belt stops. The ocean current from the equator to greenland stops as the melting water dilute the concentration of salt.England is a place which is energy deficit.so it drops Temperature sharply . ice has a good reflection . So less heat can be stored at the Earth.

1. What is global warming?

Global warming is the gradual increase in the average temperature of the Earth's atmosphere and oceans. This is primarily caused by human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, which release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

2. How does global warming affect the Earth?

Global warming can have a variety of impacts on the Earth, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, changes in weather patterns, and the extinction of certain species. It can also have negative effects on human health, agriculture, and economies.

3. Is global warming really happening?

Yes, global warming is a scientifically proven phenomenon. Scientists have been collecting data and studying the Earth's climate for decades, and the overwhelming majority of them agree that global warming is real and is primarily caused by human activities.

4. Can we reverse the effects of global warming?

While it is not possible to completely reverse the effects of global warming, we can take actions to slow down and mitigate its impacts. This includes reducing our carbon emissions, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and implementing sustainable practices in all aspects of our lives.

5. What can individuals do to help combat global warming?

Individuals can make a difference by reducing their own carbon footprint through actions such as using public transportation, conserving energy, and eating a plant-based diet. They can also support policies and initiatives that aim to address global warming, and spread awareness and education about the issue.