Good statistics, PDE textbooks

In summary, the speaker is a recent graduate with a B.S. in Math and Physics minor. They did not take Statistics or PDE but are looking for textbooks on those subjects. The suggested books are "Elementary Applied Partial Differential Equations" by Haberman, "Boundary Value Problems and Fourier Expansions" by MacCluer, and "Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Churchill and Brown. For Statistics, the speaker is recommended to look into "Introduction to Mathematical Statistics" by Hogg and Craig. All of these books can be found at a cheaper price when purchasing used copies of older editions.
Shackleford
I just graduated with a B.S. Math and Physics Minor. I took Probability but not Statistics. I also didn't get a chance to take PDE. I'm looking for some good textbooks on the subjects.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good PDE book for physics is, "elementary applied partial differential equations" by Haberman. Used copies of old editions (I'm familiar with 2nd and 3rd) are cheap and quite good.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0132528754/?tag=pfamazon01-20

"Boundary Value Problems and Fourier Expansions ", by MacCluer is a little more mathy, going into Hilber spaces, etc., so you may like it as well. It is a Dover book so is cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486439011/?tag=pfamazon01-20

An old classic is "fourier series and boundary value problems" by Churchill and Brown; again, used copies of old editions...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070108811/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For statistics, you should once again look for used copies of old editions. I really like, "introduction to mathematical statistics" by Hogg and Craig; I have a copy of the 5th edition and find it very good.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0023557222/?tag=pfamazon01-20
enjoy!

Jason

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into it.

What are good statistics?

Good statistics refers to the use of reliable and valid methods to collect, analyze, and interpret data. It involves understanding the principles and techniques of data analysis in order to draw accurate and meaningful conclusions.

What is a PDE textbook?

A PDE textbook is a book that covers the topic of partial differential equations (PDEs). PDEs are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives, and are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model various phenomena.

Why is it important to have a good statistics textbook?

A good statistics textbook is important because it provides a solid foundation for understanding the principles and techniques of data analysis. It also helps students to develop critical thinking skills and apply statistical methods correctly, which is crucial for making informed decisions and drawing accurate conclusions in various fields.

How do I choose a good statistics textbook?

When choosing a good statistics textbook, it is important to consider the author's expertise, the level of difficulty, and the relevance to your field of study. You should also look for textbooks that have clear explanations, plenty of examples, and practice problems to help you understand and apply statistical concepts.

What are some popular PDE textbooks?

Some popular PDE textbooks include "Partial Differential Equations" by Lawrence C. Evans, "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter A. Strauss, and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow. These textbooks are widely used in universities and are known for their comprehensive coverage and clear explanations of PDE concepts.