How Do I Solve Complex Trigonometric Identities?

In summary, the speaker is having trouble understanding how to derive and prove complex problems involving identities. They are seeking explanations for two specific problems involving the fundamental identities and composite functions. The first problem involves simplifying expressions to sines and cosines, with the answer being -1. The second problem involves confirming an identity using the definition of composite functions and the fundamental identity. The speaker is open to any explanations and is grateful for any help.
Cabal
I can, for the mort part, understand how to derive and "proof" most of my Identity work, but some of the more complex (in my feeble opinion) problems give me quite a bit of trouble.

Can anyone explain these?

"Use the fundamental identities to simplify to sines and cosines:
tan(^2)x - (csc(^2)x/cot(^2)x) "
Someone told me the answer was (-1) and I had no idea how to get that.

and

"Confirm the Identity:
(sinx)/(1-cosx) + (sinx)/(1+cosx) = 2cscx"

Any explanations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Use the definitions of "composite" functions (tan,cotan,sec,csc) and the fundamental identity
[tex]\sin^{2}x+\cos^{2}x=1 [/tex]

Daniel.

My usual advice is to convert everything into sines and cosines, and clear all denominators.

What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are true for all values of the variables involved. They are used to simplify expressions involving trigonometric functions and to prove other mathematical theorems.

What are the three basic trigonometric identities?

The three basic trigonometric identities are sine squared plus cosine squared equals one, tangent equals sine over cosine, and cotangent equals cosine over sine.

How are trigonometric identities used in real life?

Trigonometric identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as in navigation and surveying.

What is the difference between a trigonometric identity and a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved, while a trigonometric equation is an equation that is only true for certain values of the variables. Trigonometric identities are used to prove trigonometric equations.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include double angle identities, half angle identities, sum and difference identities, and product-to-sum identities. These identities can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve trigonometric equations.