Electric field at points from a solid copper sphere

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field at different distances from a solid copper sphere with a charge of 40 nC. The electric field is calculated using the equation E = Q/4(pi)(E0).r^2 and is found to be 0 at 12 cm from the centre, 12445.4 at 17 cm, and 639 at 75 cm. For a hollow sphere, Gauss's theorem would need to be used to calculate the electric field.
Tui

Homework Statement

2. A solid copper sphere of radius 15.0 cm carries a charge of 40 nC. Find the electric field (i)
12.0 cm, (ii) 17.0 cm and (iii) 75 cm from the centre of the sphere. (iv) Explain how your
answers would change if the sphere were hollow.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm really just wanting to know if what I've done is correct and if not could you point my in the right direction? Thanks

(i). Since R>r and all charge resides in the surface then Q = 0. Since Q = 0 so does the electric field at 12cm from the centre.

(ii). E = Q/4(pi)(E0).r^2
= (40x10^-9) / (4(pi)*(8.85*10^-12)*.17^2))'
= 12445.4

(iii) same thing with part two but I got 639 instead

Not sure about iv so any help there would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Gauss's theorem for part iv also!
Rest is OK.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere calculated?

The electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the sphere.

3. Does the electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere depend on the charge of the sphere?

Yes, the electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere. A larger charge will result in a stronger electric field, while a smaller charge will result in a weaker electric field.

4. What factors can affect the electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere?

The electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere can be affected by the charge of the sphere, the distance from the sphere, and the presence of other charges in the vicinity. The electric field also depends on the properties of the material the sphere is made of and the medium it is in.

5. How does the electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere change as the distance from the sphere increases?

The electric field at a point from a solid copper sphere decreases as the distance from the sphere increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the sphere, according to the inverse-square law.