Multipole expansion of point charge placed inside a cube

In summary, to show that all odd electrostatic multipole moments vanish for a cube filled with a uniform charge density distribution and a point charge at the center, we can treat the point charge as a separate point charge outside of the cube and use the formula for multipole moments in Cartesian coordinates. For the even moments, we can split the integral into two parts and use the formula in Jackson (4.3) to calculate the moments with l=0 and l=2.
amccaffrey

Homework Statement

A cube of side a is fi lled with a uniform charge density distribution of total charge Q. A point
charge +Q is placed at the center of the cube.

Show all odd electrostatic multipole moments vanish. (i.e., 2^l poles with odd l). Show that
among the even moments, those with l = 0; 2, vanish.

Homework Equations

Classical Electrodynamics, Jackson 4.3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wh4z5&s=6

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to figure out how to go about this. There's two main things that I'm stuck with:

How to deal with the point charge within the cube

How to solve the multipole moments in cartesian (Jackson)

I believe I would have to split the integrals into two parts where one goes from 0 to the cubes surface and the other goes from the cubes surface to infinity but it doesn't seem to be working out.

I've been trying to find an example of solving the multipole moments in Cartesian and finding the moments of a volume with a charge in the middle but I've had no luck.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for your question. Let me try to provide some guidance on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, when dealing with a point charge within a cube, we can treat it as a separate point charge outside of the cube, but located at the center of the cube. This will simplify our calculations and allow us to use the standard formula for the multipole moments.

Secondly, to solve for the multipole moments in Cartesian coordinates, we can use the formula given in Jackson (4.3) for a charge distribution with spherical symmetry. In this case, we can consider the cube to be a sphere of radius a, with the charge distribution being uniform within the sphere.

Now, let's start with the odd moments. As per the formula in Jackson (4.3), the odd moments (l=1,3,5,...) will vanish if the charge distribution is symmetric with respect to inversion about the origin. In this case, since the charge distribution is uniform within the cube, it is symmetric with respect to inversion about the center of the cube. Therefore, all odd moments will vanish.

Moving on to the even moments, we can use the formula in Jackson (4.3) to calculate the moments with l=0 and l=2. For l=0, the formula reduces to the total charge Q. For l=2, we will have to integrate over the volume of the cube using the charge density distribution. Here, you can split the integral into two parts as you mentioned, one from 0 to the surface of the cube and the other from the surface to infinity.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the multipole expansion of a point charge inside a cube?

The multipole expansion of a point charge inside a cube is a mathematical technique used to describe the electric potential and electric field around a point charge placed inside a cube. It involves expressing the potential and field as a sum of terms, called multipole moments, which account for the influence of the charge on the surrounding space.

2. How is the multipole expansion calculated for a point charge inside a cube?

The multipole expansion for a point charge inside a cube is calculated using a series of integrals over the volume of the cube. These integrals take into account the distance between the charge and each point in the cube, as well as the orientation of the cube with respect to the charge. The result is a series expansion with terms that represent the different multipole moments.

3. What is the significance of the multipole expansion for a point charge inside a cube?

The multipole expansion is significant because it allows us to approximate the electric potential and electric field around a point charge inside a cube. By including higher-order multipole moments, we can improve the accuracy of our calculations and better understand the behavior of the charge in its surroundings.

4. Can the multipole expansion be used for other shapes besides a cube?

Yes, the multipole expansion can be used for other shapes besides a cube. It is a general mathematical technique that can be applied to any symmetric object, such as a sphere, cylinder, or ellipsoid. However, the calculations may become more complex for more complicated shapes.

5. How does the multipole expansion relate to the concept of electric dipoles?

The multipole expansion includes the first term, known as the electric dipole moment, which represents the strength and direction of the electric dipole created by the point charge inside the cube. Higher-order terms in the expansion account for more complex multipole moments, such as quadrupoles, octupoles, and so on. Thus, the multipole expansion is a way of expressing the dipole and other multipole moments in a systematic manner.