Gauss's theorem to find flux of field

In summary: Thanks for catching that!In summary, the student is attempting to solve a homework equation but is having difficulty. They are looking for help from others on the forum.
schmiggy

Homework Statement

F(x,y,z) = x^3zi + y^3zj + xyk
across the surface x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 9

Homework Equations

See attached image

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached image.

I'm fairly certain there's either something wrong with my initial integral, also I don't think I integrated correctly with respect to phi.. but I'm not really sure how to fix it.

According to my exercise book solutions, the answer is 0, however if I were to continue with my working out I would get 729pi.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

On an unrelated note, this forum has been a great help to me in the past, and all free of charge.. is there somewhere I can make a donation? or a paid service I can sign up for? Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did the last integral wrong.

Use the substitution u = sin φ

In terms of u the integral becomes

$$ \int_0^\pi \sin^3\phi \cos \phi \ d\phi = \int_0^0 u^3 du = 0 $$
schmiggy said:
On an unrelated note, this forum has been a great help to me in the past, and all free of charge.. is there somewhere I can make a donation? or a paid service I can sign up for? Thanks

Yes you can pay and become a Gold member. No ads, recognition graphic, set invisible, custom title, signature, avatars, profile photo, 200pm limit, who's online, user notes, boolean searching...

There is an "Upgrade" button at the top.

Last edited:
hi schmiggy! :smile:

your 3x2z + 3y2z was right,

but then you only converted the 3x2z into polar coordinates! :rolleyes:

(btw, that's 3r2z, which is odd in z, so isn't it obvious that its integral over that sphere will be zero? :wink:)
schmiggy said:

there used to be an upgrade button, but now you have to click "My PF", then go down to "Paid subscriptions" near the bottom :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi schmiggy! :smile:

your 3x2z + 3y2z was right,

but then you only converted the 3x2z into polar coordinates! :rolleyes:

No tiny-tim, I think he did it correctly.

3x2z + 3y2z = 3rcosφ(x2 + y2) = 3rcosφ(r2 - z2) = 3rcosφ(r2 - r2cos2φ) = 3r3cosφsin2φ

which is what schmiggy got

oops! :redface: i was thinking of cylindrical coordinates! :confused:

thanks, dx :smile:

(but my comment on "odd in z" still stands :wink:)

Firstly, thanks to both of you for the help!

I got the integral to result in
$$ \int_0^\pi \sin^4\phi/4 = 0 $$
(sorry, not sure how to use that code to format the integral properly, basically it's sin^4(phi) multiplied by (1/4))

I embarrassingly sat for about 2 minutes afterwards going.. "but when I integrate with respect to theta, I'll end up with 2pi..." before realising I was integrating 0. /facepalm

Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi schmiggy,

I think there's something wrong either with the latex or quoting. I was talking about the integral over phi at the end

∫ sin3φ cosφ dφ (from 0 to π)

which can be performed with the substitution u = sin φ to give

(1/4)sin4π - (1/4)sin40 = 0

I accidentally edited your quote when I was playing around with the latex seeing how it works, my bad! I also accidentally left the d(phi) at the end. I've edited my previous post and that should be correct.. I hope.. or else I'll have a serious case of egg on my face

1. What is Gauss's theorem?

Gauss's theorem, also known as Gauss's flux theorem or Gauss's divergence theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume.

2. How do you use Gauss's theorem to find the flux of a field?

To use Gauss's theorem to find the flux of a field, you first need to calculate the divergence of the field at each point within the enclosed volume. Then, you can integrate the divergence over the volume to find the total flux of the field through the surface.

3. What is the difference between flux and divergence?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface, while divergence is a measure of how much a vector field is spreading out or converging at a given point. Gauss's theorem relates these two concepts by showing that the total flux through a closed surface is equal to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume.

4. Can Gauss's theorem be applied to any type of field?

Yes, Gauss's theorem can be applied to any type of vector field, including electric, magnetic, and gravitational fields. It is a general theorem in vector calculus and has many applications in physics and engineering.

5. How is Gauss's theorem related to the law of conservation of charge?

Gauss's theorem is closely related to the law of conservation of charge, which states that the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant. This is because Gauss's theorem shows that the total flux of an electric field through a closed surface is proportional to the total amount of charge enclosed within that surface.