QM operator and double slit experiment doubt basics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics and their relationship with the wave function. The position operator is used to calculate the expected position of a particle, while its eigenvalues do not have a physical interpretation.
santo35
well i am a starter in QM, i have 2 big doubts ! let me first tell what i understood ,
there is phsi which defines a state of a system, phsi times x is a position operator and phsi 's derivative of x multiplied by i h is its momentum operator ...
well then i operator these in phsi and what do i get in return, i mean what is the actual meaning of the result of operating phsi with position and momentum operator ?

This is in regard with the modern physics QM lecture by Susskind lecture 4, when he derives the double slit experiment, he uses phsi as exponential function for the electron after it passes through the slit , how well is he justified in assuming that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean psi (##\psi##)? That is just a symbol, frequently used for a wave function.
A usual symbol for the position operator is X. "psi times x" does not make sense in that context.
well then i operator these in phsi and what do i get in return, i mean what is the actual meaning of the result of operating phsi with position and momentum operator ?
I don't understand that question.
how well is he justified in assuming that ?
I don't think you describe the textbook content accurately here, but the experimental results agree very well with the predictions based on the calculations done there.

yea i ment psi, and the position operator X... well what the position operator does to a vector funstion is that take the function and multiplies by its variable rite? like X|f(x)> -> x*f(x) ... that's how he explains position operator in previous lectures.
well my question is , i operate X on psi , and what do i get in return? well or basically what is the use of position operator ?
its eigen values gives us the probablity of finding the position of the particle at 'x' ?
PS thanks for your reply !

and what do i get in return?
In position space, the wave function multiplied with the position.
what is the use of position operator ?
You can use it to calculate the expected ("average") position, for example.
##\langle X \rangle = \langle \psi | X | \psi \rangle##
its eigen values gives us the probablity of finding the position of the particle at 'x' ?
There are no "physical" eigenfunctions for X. They would correspond to particles at a single, exact location.

1. What is a QM operator?

A QM operator, or quantum mechanical operator, is a mathematical representation of an observable quantity in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior and properties of quantum particles.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

The double slit experiment involves shooting a stream of particles, such as photons or electrons, through two parallel slits onto a screen. The particles will create an interference pattern, indicating that they behave like waves and can pass through both slits at the same time.

3. What is the significance of the double slit experiment in quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of quantum particles. It also shows that the act of observing or measuring a particle can affect its behavior.

4. What is the difference between a classical and quantum mechanical system?

A classical system follows the laws of classical physics and can be fully described using classical mechanics. A quantum mechanical system, on the other hand, follows the laws of quantum mechanics and is described using wave functions and operators.

5. Can the results of the double slit experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the results of the double slit experiment cannot be explained by classical physics. The interference pattern observed is only possible if the particles behave like waves, which is a principle of quantum mechanics.