Applying of knot theory to string theory

In summary: the actual vibration of a string is not possible to see or measure.we can only see the vibration behaviour on a plane transversal to the observer.
shreyakmath
Probably a bit abstract,but I was thinking if 4D closed strings could form knots? I mean if a closed string in 4-dimensional spacetime can be considered an unknot and a knot polynomial be associated with every closed string. I also wondered that if the fundamental strings vibrate in the knotted state, their harmonics could represent something entirely different!
What are your views?

Physics news on Phys.org
shreyakmath said:
Probably a bit abstract,but I was thinking if 4D closed strings could form knots? I mean if a closed string in 4-dimensional spacetime can be considered an unknot and a knot polynomial be associated with every closed string. I also wondered that if the fundamental strings vibrate in the knotted state, their harmonics could represent something entirely different!
What are your views?

Knots are always from "materials" that have one less dimension than the space in which they are embedded. So a 4-D space would have 3-D knots. I can't say that I can picture this.

A knot is nothing else but the map of a closed one-dim. loop to a target space. The fact that the knot is knotted is not a property of the loop but a property of the map. It is encoded in the topological structure of the "target space minus the knot".

Now you can try to do this in N > 3 dimensions.

It turns out that there are no knots in N > 3, that means that every "knot" can be unknotted, the "target space minus the knot" is topologically identical to the "target space minus a trivial circle".

Strings cannot form knots in 4 dimensions. (or only trivial knots)

But this got me thinking that 2d surfaces can form "knots" in 4 dimensions. Are these, too, called knots in topology? By tom.stoer's definition for example the Klein bottle would be a knot in 4d, though not in any superior dimension.

Hm, knots are always defined as 1-dim loops in 3-space. But you are right, there is this analogy in higher dim. spaces

Last edited:
someGorilla said:
But this got me thinking that 2d surfaces can form "knots" in 4 dimensions. Are these, too, called knots in topology? By tom.stoer's definition for example the Klein bottle would be a knot in 4d, though not in any superior dimension.

tom.stoer said:
Hm, knots are always defined as 1-dim loops in 3-space. But you are right, there is this analogy in higher dim. spaces

torsten answered this in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=678799

what if the "string vibration" is actually a spin projection of a one dimensional string on a two dimensional plane. we cannot see the actual spin of the string but we can see the vibration behaviour on a plane transversal to the observer.

then how then can a closed loop can be formed in two dimensional space. visualise a telephone cord when you bend it and began twisting on the middle. notice that the two halves of the cord will twist in unison. then appying more spinning motion will result the beginning and end parts of the cord will meet; thus forming an irregular loop depending on how much spin is applied to the middle of the cord.

somehow, the telephone cord represent the actual string in space, has one dimension (length) but suspended in space in a spiral pattern. when a disturbance is acted upon the spiral string, it either contracts(gravity), elongates (light, sound, magnetism) or forms a dimensional loop (matter).

correct me if I am wrong but this only an observation.

1. What is knot theory and how is it related to string theory?

Knot theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of mathematical knots, which are configurations of tangled, looped, or knotted strings in three-dimensional space. String theory, on the other hand, is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to describe the fundamental nature of matter and energy in the universe. Knot theory is related to string theory in that it provides a mathematical language and tools for describing and understanding the behavior of strings in string theory.

2. What are some applications of knot theory in string theory?

Knot theory has several applications in string theory. One application is in understanding the topology, or the geometric properties, of string configurations. Knot theory also helps in studying the behavior of strings in non-Euclidean spaces, such as those with curved dimensions. Additionally, knot theory is used in classifying and characterizing different types of strings in string theory, such as closed strings and open strings.

3. How does knot theory help in solving problems in string theory?

Knot theory provides a powerful mathematical framework for analyzing and solving problems in string theory. By using knot theory, physicists can better understand the structure and behavior of strings in different scenarios, such as in high energy collisions or in the presence of black holes. Knot theory also helps in identifying symmetries and patterns in string theory, which can lead to new insights and predictions.

4. What are some challenges in applying knot theory to string theory?

One of the main challenges in applying knot theory to string theory is the complexity of the mathematical models involved. String theory deals with high-dimensional spaces and complex geometries, making it difficult to apply knot theory techniques. Additionally, there is still a lot that is unknown about both knot theory and string theory, so there is ongoing research to better understand the connections between the two.

5. Are there any real-world implications of applying knot theory to string theory?

While the implications of string theory itself are still being explored, there are potential real-world applications of knot theory in other fields, such as biology and chemistry. For example, knot theory has been used to analyze and predict the properties of protein molecules, which have complex knot-like structures. Additionally, knot theory has been applied to the study of DNA and other biomolecules, providing insights into their behavior and properties.