Sakurai page 181: Time evolution of ensembles

In summary, J. J. Sakurai states that Equation (3.4.27) at some time t_0, the density operator is given by \rho(t_0) = \sum_i w_i \mid \alpha^{(i)} \rangle \langle \alpha^{(i)} \midEquation (3.4.28), at a later time, the state ket changes from \mid \alpha^{(i)} \rangle to \mid \alpha^{(i)}, t_0 ; t \rangle. Equation (3.4.29), from the fact that \mid \alpha^{(i)}, t
omoplata
From "Modern Quantum Mechanics, revised edition" by J. J. Sakurai, page 181.

Equation (3.4.27), at some time [itex]t_0[/itex], the density operator is given by[tex]
\rho(t_0) = \sum_i w_i \mid \alpha^{(i)} \rangle \langle \alpha^{(i)} \mid
[/tex]Equation (3.4.28), at a later time, the state ket changes from [itex]\mid \alpha^{(i)} \rangle[/itex] to [itex]\mid \alpha^{(i)}, t_0 ; t \rangle[/itex].

Equation (3.4.29), From the fact that [itex]\mid \alpha^{(i)}, t_0 ; t \rangle[/itex] satisfies the Schrodinger equation we obtain[tex]
i \hbar \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = \sum_i w_i \left( H \mid \alpha^{(i)}, t_0 ; t \rangle \langle \alpha^{(i)}, t_0 ; t \mid - \mid \alpha^{(i)}, t_0 ; t \rangle \langle \alpha^{(i)}, t_0 ; t \mid H \right) = - \left[\rho, H\right]
[/tex]How does he get to (3.4.29) by applying to Schrodinger equation?

From (2.1.27), the Schrodinger equation is given to be[tex]
i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \mid \alpha, t_0 ; t \rangle = H \mid \alpha, t_0 ; t \rangle
[/tex]I can't figure out how to apply it to get (3.4.29).

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the bra and the ket are evolving in time. Formally, the time derivative of the ket-bra outer product obeys the normal product rule for derivatives:

##\frac{d}{dt}(|\alpha \rangle \langle \beta |) = (\frac{d}{dt} | \alpha \rangle) \langle \beta | + | \alpha \rangle (\frac{d}{dt} \langle \beta | )##.

(Here ##|\alpha \rangle## is any ket and ##\langle \beta |## is any bra). If you apply this to your density operator you should get the desired result. Note that to evaluate the time derivative of a bra you will have to use the Hermitian conjugate of the Schrodinger equation.

If you want to make it totally transparent why the normal derivative product rule applies in this case, you can consider the infinitesmial time evolution of a ket:

##|\alpha(t+dt) \rangle = |\alpha(t)\rangle + dt \frac{d}{dt}|\alpha(t)\rangle##

If you write down the analagous formula for a bra, and then use the two formula to evaluate ##| \alpha(t+dt) \rangle \langle \beta(t+dt) |## then you should be able to derive the claimed product rule for derivatives (at the physicist level of rigor, anyway).

It is simply the application of the Schrödinger equation plus hermitean conjugation

[tex]\partial_t\,(|a\rangle\langle a|) = (\partial_t \,|a\rangle)\,\langle a| + |a\rangle \, (\partial_t\,\langle a|) = (-iH|a\rangle)\langle a| + |a\rangle(\langle a|(-iH)^\dagger) = -i(H|a\rangle\langle a| - |a \rangle\langle a|H) = -i [H,\rho][/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the Sakurai page 181 about?

The Sakurai page 181 is about the time evolution of ensembles in quantum mechanics. It discusses how the probability distribution of a system changes over time and the role of the Hamiltonian operator in this process.

2. Why is understanding time evolution of ensembles important in quantum mechanics?

Understanding the time evolution of ensembles is crucial in quantum mechanics as it allows us to predict the behavior of a system over time. This is essential in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems and making predictions about their future states.

3. What is an ensemble in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, an ensemble refers to a collection of identical systems that are in the same quantum state. By studying the time evolution of ensembles, we can make predictions about the behavior of individual systems within the ensemble.

4. How does the Hamiltonian operator affect the time evolution of ensembles?

The Hamiltonian operator plays a crucial role in the time evolution of ensembles. It determines the energy of a system and governs how the system evolves over time. In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian operator is represented by the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum states.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the time evolution of ensembles?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of understanding the time evolution of ensembles in quantum mechanics. For example, it is essential in areas such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information processing, where precise predictions about the behavior of quantum systems are necessary.