Calculating Tensile Strength of Stainless Steel Sample

In summary, the tensile strength of the rectangular stainless steel samples is 205 N/mm^2. The rate of strain does not affect the tensile strength. To replace the material, the ultimate tensile strength (UTS) must be higher than this value.
123catty456
Hello, Just want to check that I am calculating something correctly if this is ok;

I did a tensile test with some rectangular stainless steel samples and got the resulting max force reached for each sample.

if the max force experienced was 410N and the samples CSA is 2mm^2 then the tensile strength of that bar is (410/2) = 205N/mm^2 = 205MPa?

Heres were I was getting confused;

the zwick was moving at 10mm/min so just wondering if I was to change the max force experienced from 410N/10mm a minute to 4100N/mm a minute... and get a tensile strength of 4000/2 = 2050 MPa?
do I have to change anything to account for 10mm/min movement of the zwick? ... it doesn't look right...

If I am looking to replace this material I just need its UTS to be higher than this tensile strength value right?

thanks! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
123catty456 said:
Hello, Just want to check that I am calculating something correctly if this is ok;

I did a tensile test with some rectangular stainless steel samples and got the resulting max force reached for each sample.

if the max force experienced was 410N and the samples CSA is 2mm^2 then the tensile strength of that bar is (410/2) = 205N/mm^2 = 205MPa?

Heres were I was getting confused;

the zwick was moving at 10mm/min so just wondering if I was to change the max force experienced from 410N/10mm a minute to 4100N/mm a minute... and get a tensile strength of 4000/2 = 2050 MPa?
do I have to change anything to account for 10mm/min movement of the zwick? ... it doesn't look right...

If I am looking to replace this material I just need its UTS to be higher than this tensile strength value right?

thanks! :)
The tensile strength is independent of the rate of strain. You should also get the same stress-strain curve, irrespective of hwo fast the zwick is moving.

Hi Chestmermiller,

thank you for your reply, that's great I was just getting confused about that!

and so is the tensile strength of 205 N/mm^2 the correct answer then?

123catty456 said:
Hi Chestmermiller,

thank you for your reply, that's great I was just getting confused about that!

and so is the tensile strength of 205 N/mm^2 the correct answer then?

Yes.

1. What is the definition of tensile strength?

Tensile strength is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before breaking or tearing apart.

2. How is tensile strength calculated?

Tensile strength is calculated by dividing the maximum load that a material can bear by its cross-sectional area. This value is then expressed in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

3. What factors can affect the tensile strength of stainless steel?

The tensile strength of stainless steel can be affected by factors such as chemical composition, heat treatment, and manufacturing processes. Other external factors like temperature, humidity, and exposure to corrosive substances can also impact its strength.

4. How do you perform a tensile strength test on a stainless steel sample?

The most common method for testing the tensile strength of a stainless steel sample is by using a universal testing machine. The sample is placed in the machine and pulled apart until it breaks. The load and elongation at each point are recorded and used to calculate the tensile strength.

5. What is a typical tensile strength for stainless steel?

The tensile strength of stainless steel can vary depending on the grade and type of stainless steel. Generally, it falls within the range of 70,000 to 150,000 psi. However, some high-strength grades can have tensile strengths up to 300,000 psi.