Irregular Tri Mesh: Impact & Repair?

In summary, the irregular mesh might have some impact on later results of the analysis. However, it can be repaired somehow.
graba
As in the subject. I have created tri mesh on my solid and it is completely irregular. Does it have any impact on later results of the analysis? Can it be repaired somehow? I attached a picture in case you would like to see it. I am working with Marc MSC

Attachments

• ir.JPG
    ir.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 383
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you personally create this mesh, or did a meshing routine from Marc MSC create it?

The bulk of the meshing appears to be fine. However, on the right hand side of the image, where the size of the triangles gets noticeably smaller, it's really hard to tell, but it looks like a bunch of skinny, dart-like triangles. This might give relatively inaccurate results.

I created it by a meshing routine from Marc. I used Automesh option for a case of Volumes.
I was trying to transform STL model to solid and I managed to create the mesh inside the model.
Do you think that meshing with use of Automesh -> volumes was a good way to achieve this?

SteamKing said:
The bulk of the meshing appears to be fine. However, on the right hand side of the image, where the size of the triangles gets noticeably smaller, it's really hard to tell, but it looks like a bunch of skinny, dart-like triangles.

It looks like the surface of a 3D mesh on a cylinder to me. The "small" triangles are part of the curved surface.

So long as adjacent elements are about the same size as each other, and there are no elements with large angles (90 degrees or bigger) at a corner, there shouldn't be any problems. In fact an "irregular" mesh can be better than a "regular" mesh like squares or cubes divided up into triangles, because in that type of mesh there are many triangles with a 90 degree angles.

FWIW very small angles (like 1 degree) can look strange, but they are harmless compared with large angles.

Thank you guys for help. I will inform you if I perform some analysis with this model.
And yes AlephZero, you were right, that is a model of 3D cylinder.

1. What is an irregular tri mesh and why is it important?

An irregular tri mesh is a type of mesh used in computational mechanics and finite element analysis to discretize a complex geometry into smaller, simpler elements. It is important because it allows for accurate simulation and analysis of real-world structures and systems.

2. What are some common issues that can impact an irregular tri mesh?

Some common issues that can impact an irregular tri mesh include element distortion, mesh tangling, and element quality. These issues can occur due to complex geometries, sharp corners, or poor initial meshing.

3. How does an irregular tri mesh impact the accuracy of a simulation?

An irregular tri mesh can significantly impact the accuracy of a simulation if not properly handled. Issues such as element distortion can cause inaccurate results, while mesh tangling can lead to non-convergence of the simulation. It is important to repair these issues to ensure accurate results.

4. What techniques are commonly used to repair an irregular tri mesh?

Some common techniques for repairing an irregular tri mesh include smoothing algorithms, element flipping, and remeshing. These techniques can help improve element quality and reduce distortion in the mesh.

5. Can an irregular tri mesh be completely repaired, or are there always some inaccuracies?

It is possible to completely repair an irregular tri mesh, but it may require significant effort and computational resources. In some cases, there may still be some inaccuracies present in the mesh, but these can be minimized through careful mesh refinement and optimization.